Hard Drive Transfer

Reaction score
Can you take the hard drive out of a computer, hook it to another computer and place the contents on that computer in a short time frame and keep it there permanently? I took my computer to a person yesterday and he took the hard drive out and connected it with some sort of part to his computer to see if it was okay. Everything on my hard drive came up on his monitor. It was there for a couple of minutes and then he disconnected and put back in my computer. Is my information safe? Thank you.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP17 8GB/1.9TB 2xSSDs Sierra • MBA11 4/128GB • TC 2TB • TV3 • iPh6 128GB • iPadPro12
Is my information safe?

That depends entirely on how trustworthy that person is ... it is very easy to setup a "silent" cloning of anything connected to the system.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Late 2015 27" iMac, 3.3ghz, M395 gpu, 2tb Fusion, 8gb
Cloning a hard drive takes time, depending on size of course. In the time it was connected it is possible to do a directed suck of specific information, but not the entire drive.

I transferred about 100gb of data from a hard drive to a solid state drive and it took about an hour over a USB connection (not sure if it was 2.0 or 3.0).

So it is possible that he took something, but unlikely if you were sitting right there.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP17 8GB/1.9TB 2xSSDs Sierra • MBA11 4/128GB • TC 2TB • TV3 • iPh6 128GB • iPadPro12
I transferred about 100gb of data from a hard drive to a solid state drive and it took about an hour over a USB connection (not sure if it was 2.0 or 3.0)

USB3? :Lips-Are-Sealed: That ^^^ is less than double the speed of USB1.1, and less than 5% of the speed of USB2 ... Sorry, but this is not a typical transfer rate of today. External eSATA dongle, handled by rsync, can chew through 100GB drive in no time ...

Last edited:
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Late 2015 27" iMac, 3.3ghz, M395 gpu, 2tb Fusion, 8gb
MBP17•David;1588838 said:
USB3? :Lips-Are-Sealed: That ^^^ is less than double the speed of USB1.1, and less than 5% of the speed of USB2 ... Sorry, but this is not a typical transfer rate of today. External eSATA dongle, handled by rsync, can chew through 100GB drive in no time ...

I just let it sit and run. It was from the internal HDD to an OWC Merc Electra SSD in a USB enclosure, which were then swapped. I was using Carbon Copy Cloner. Once in the MBP everything was fine.

C

chas_m

For the record, neither USB2 or USB3 have *ever* run at the maximum rated speeds people often quote. Those are theoretical limits, with the accent on the theoretical.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
For the record, neither USB2 or USB3 have *ever* run at the maximum rated speeds people often quote. Those are theoretical limits, with the accent on the theoretical.

Oh, absolutely! Also people often confuse bus transfer rate with read/write speed of a drive ... B & b adds to the confusion too.

However, even at 20x times the theoretical throughput of eSATA, it'll only take rsync about a minute to grab 100GB.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.