network advice

Reaction score
Hello

I have the following apple devices on my network...

2013 iMac highest model
2012 2TB time capsule
IPad 3
IPhone 5

Also

Samsung Galaxy S4
nexus 7 fhd tab
DNS 323 NAS
An ISP provided Switch and Router

I have my DSL coming into the switch and branches in Two directions. One to ISP provided WiFi router on main floor and the other to Time Capsule on second floor.

I have my NAS connected with a patch cable from Time Capsule.

My NAS is pretty **** slow. I keep losing it from my shared devices list and when it is stable enough to transfer data to it it takes 40min to transfer 20 gigs from my WiFi connected iMac to the NAS.

I basically want to use my NAS as a media streamer and redundant raid1 backup to another backup I plan on having as a redundancy to the raid1 NAS housed in a external drive.

Any ideas on how I can utilize what I have currently have to maximize performance?

Any ideas what would be a better solution? New hardware etc...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
late 2012 mini w/SSD
An ISP provided Switch and Router
I have my DSL coming into the switch and branches in Two directions. One to ISP provided WiFi router on main floor and the other to Time Capsule on second floor.

It's not clear to me - is the first ISP switch a router? Does it control the IP addresses of all other devices?
Are the Time Capsule and ISP-provided Wifi router being used in bridge mode (ie, not providing connected devices with IP addresses by DHCP)?

OP
K
Reaction score
The first location is just a switch. Then it splits into two locations. One is the TC and the other is a router.

How would I know if they are in bridge mode? I do not believe that they are as my TC connected devices are getting IP addresses from TC

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
late 2012 mini w/SSD
The way you are doing it, the Time Capsule and the other wifi router are two separate local networks (separated by the firewall/NAT in each).
You need to have a router (which provides DHCP for IP addresses and firewall and Network Address Translation) as the first device in your local network. Then turn off DHCP on the Time Capsule, and use it as a switch and Wifi Access point, That will put all your devices on the same local network.
You can use your switch anywhere after the first router, to make added ethernet slots available.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.