Facetime Setup on iMac - Preferences Grayed Out?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Air M2 ('22) OS 14.3; M3 iMac ('23) OS 14.3; iPad Pro; iPhone 14
Hi All - now we are not big time FaceTime (FT) users but the program works on my MBPro and on our iPads - wife has used her Mini to FT w/ our son. Today, I suggested that she just use her iMac (bigger screen) which I don't believe we've tried before - well, I could not get a contacts list or enter setup via the FT Preferences option (grayed out) - the email address is my Yahoo one which we use for our Apple ID account - there is an option to enter 'another' email address.

But before I try some suggestions found on the web and some ideas of my own, I was hoping that others may have had the same issue and can provide a simple solution? Her iMac is spring 2013 w/ Mavericks updated; FT v. 3.0 (same as on my laptop). Thanks. Dave :)

Last edited:
Reaction score
Are the laptop and the desktop using the same Apple ID? We had a problem with my wife calling me at work because my iMac and the Macbook were using the same ID.
If she called the iMac would ring and the laptop wouldn't. Made and started using another one and no more problems.
Could be the reason you cant change prefs?

OP
RadDave
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Air M2 ('22) OS 14.3; M3 iMac ('23) OS 14.3; iPad Pro; iPhone 14
Are the laptop and the desktop using the same Apple ID? We had a problem with my wife calling me at work because my iMac and the Macbook were using the same ID.
If she called the iMac would ring and the laptop wouldn't. Made and started using another one and no more problems.
Could be the reason you cant change prefs?

Hi Craig - thanks for your prompt response! YES, we share the same Apple ID and that is on both computers - I was planning to create a new ID for her computer but was hoping for a good 'thumbs up' from someone who had the same issue - thus, I'll go ahead and give that a try! Dave :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.