Time Machine Acting Stragely

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP Late 2014, 2.2 GHz Intel Core i7, 16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3, Yosemite 10.10.3
Hey guys,

Have just started noticing that time machine is acting a little strangely and I'm not sure its backing up.

When I hit backup the Time machine icon changes briefly to the attached image (see below) and then it says it has complete backing up, even though I have just added a 7gig video file to my desktop. When I search the latest backup (or the entire timemachine) for that new video file, it is no where to be found. I have over 250gig free on my backup drive.

Can someone inform me as to what might be going wrong?

thanks a lot

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Air M2 ('22) OS 14.3; M3 iMac ('23) OS 14.3; iPad Pro; iPhone 14
Hi Josh - just to help others respond better, please provide information on your computer, OS X installed, and method of BU (assume you are using an external drive; if so, brand/model).

For myself, I've not noticed any problems lately (on Mavericks) - just did a TM BU today on my MBPro and had added 3 MP3 classical music discs (Classicsonline) - checked and all were in the new backup, as expected. Dave :)

OP
J
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP Late 2014, 2.2 GHz Intel Core i7, 16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3, Yosemite 10.10.3
Hi Josh - just to help others respond better, please provide information on your computer, OS X installed, and method of BU (assume you are using an external drive; if so, brand/model).

For myself, I've not noticed any problems lately (on Mavericks) - just did a TM BU today on my MBPro and had added 3 MP3 classical music discs (Classicsonline) - checked and all were in the new backup, as expected. Dave :)

Hey Dave, thanks for responding. Heres some info;

OS/Source Disk: 10.9.3 on a newly installed SSD in a Late 2008 MacbookPro (Unibody)
TimeMachine/Target Disk: Western Digital 2TB Usb HD (last backup to this disk might have been from 10.9.3 on my old internal HDD - would this make any difference?)

many thanks,
Josh

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
last backup to this disk might have been from 10.9.3 on my old internal HDD - would this make any difference?

Yes, that can make a difference. Can you verify if anything at all was backed from the new drive you installed? Or do your backups just show information from the drive you replaced?

Enter Time Machine and check the backup dates in pink on the right side to see what they show. Since the sparse bundle is from the old drive, that might be all that's there.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.