Mail application problems

Reaction score
I've tried what I know could be wrong. My smtp is smpt.google.com.

My outgoing adress is plus.smtp.mail.yahoo.com

"Activare this account" is ticked it.

Account type: POP

No TLS Certificate

Port: 995

Please help me! :(

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Welcome to the Mac Forums.

What is it that you're trying to do? It appears you have two outgoing mail addresses (gmail and yahoo). Which mail service provider are you using?

OP
I
Reaction score
Welcome to the Mac Forums.

What is it that you're trying to do? It appears you have two outgoing mail addresses (gmail and yahoo). Which mail service provider are you using?

THank you!

I'm trying to use gmail.

Edit: I'm still getting problems when I use smpt.google.com. I get a box that says "User adress [email protected] is not approved by smtp.google.com"
"Use another outgoing e-mail server"

Last edited:
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Air M2 ('22) OS 14.3; M3 iMac ('23) OS 14.3; iPad Pro; iPhone 14
I'm trying to use gmail.

Edit: I'm still getting problems when I use smpt.google.com. I get a box that says "User adress [email protected] is not approved by smtp.google.com"

Hello, you really need to get three pieces of information correct (especially regarding spelling which from your responses, letters have been reversed) - BUT, make sure: 1) your email address for Gmail is correct; 2) that your incoming POP (or IMAP) address is correct; and 3) that your outgoing SMTP is correct (in your OP you typed 'My smtp is smpt.google.com - see the spelling in bold). Please post back after checking and if all is spelled correctly, then further suggestions can be given. Dave :)

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
THank you!

I'm trying to use gmail.

Your addressing is wrong. Incoming gmail should read: pop.gmail.com
sending or outgoing should read: smtp.gmail.com

Also, it's a good idea to access your account on the gmail server and change your password. However, don't forget to also change it in the Mail program.

OP
I
Reaction score
Hello, you really need to get three pieces of information correct (especially regarding spelling which from your responses, letters have been reversed) - BUT, make sure: 1) your email address for Gmail is correct; 2) that your incoming POP (or IMAP) address is correct; and 3) that your outgoing SMTP is correct (in your OP you typed 'My smtp is smpt.google.com - see the spelling in bold). Please post back after checking and if all is spelled correctly, then further suggestions can be given. Dave :)

Your addressing is wrong. Incoming gmail should read: pop.gmail.com
sending or outgoing should read: smtp.gmail.com

Also, it's a good idea to access your account on the gmail server and change your password. However, don't forget to also change it in the Mail program.

RIght, so my adresses arewring. I have no idea where tochangethe.POP....
Still no lcy

The resst I can problably do myself

This is ny set-up now.
ezetk3.png

And this is what happejs den i yry trysend an emio
2llbxpj.png

Translation "Gmail disconnected"

Last edited:

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
You make the proper entries in your Mail program by opening Preferences, Accounts, Account Information. Don't forget to save the changes.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP17 8GB/1.9TB 2xSSDs Sierra • MBA11 4/128GB • TC 2TB • TV3 • iPh6 128GB • iPadPro12
Lets take it one step at a time, and maybe we can solve this problem ...

You need to correct erroneous entry for your incoming mail server, as pointed by chscag above:

ScreenShot2014-06-22at081707_zpsbf2e3f13.png~original

1. Select smtp part of the address and type pop

You have no outgoing mail server selected, so you need to rectify that:

2. Click on the arrows, as shown in above picture, you'll be presented with this (you won't have as many servers, if any, so don't worry):

ScreenShot2014-06-22at083035_zps3427bf65.png~original

1. Make note which, if any, server is ticked, and
2. Click on Edit SMTP Server List

You will see this (again, ignore the fact that I have quite a few entries there, you might not have any):

ScreenShot2014-06-22at083115_zpsafb05884.png~original

If your correct server smtp.gmail.com is selected (point 1), then

2. Set the port and authentication, as advised by Google (I'm afraid I don't use it, so wouldn't know)

If you don't have your smtp server listed, then do this:

ScreenShot2014-06-22at090708_zpsf8d0774b.png~original

1. Click on + to add a server
2. Either enter it where it says 'Double-click to enter', or
3. Enter the name as shown in server name field

Now you can go back to previous image and set the port and SSL, if any.

Once you're back to account setting screen (your own screenshot at the top), don't forget to:

3. Tick the box to only use this smtp server with your gmail account.

I've omitted some obvious steps, like clicking OK to confirm changes made, etc ...

OP
I
Reaction score
MBP17•David;1588795 said:
Lets take it one step at a time, and maybe we can solve this problem ...

You need to correct erroneous entry for your incoming mail server, as pointed by chscag above:

1. Select smtp part of the address and type pop

You have no outgoing mail server selected, so you need to rectify that:

2. Click on the arrows, as shown in above picture, you'll be presented with this (you won't have as many servers, if any, so don't worry):

1. Make note which, if any, server is ticked, and
2. Click on Edit SMTP Server List

You will see this (again, ignore the fact that I have quite a few entries there, you might not have any):

If your correct server smtp.gmail.com is selected (point 1), then

2. Set the port and authentication, as advised by Google (I'm afraid I don't use it, so wouldn't know)

If you don't have your smtp server listed, then do this:

1. Click on + to add a server
2. Either enter it where it says 'Double-click to enter', or
3. Enter the name as shown in server name field

Now you can go back to previous image and set the port and SSL, if any.

Once you're back to account setting screen (your own screenshot at the top), don't forget to:

3. Tick the box to only use this smtp server with your gmail account.

I've omitted some obvious steps, like clicking OK to confirm changes made, etc ...

THanks a bunch for your time and effort, but it still doesnt work. Seems I get incoming mail (i THINK) but outgoing is still no-go. One problem I have is that I cant get Google POP, instead I get Google IMAP, and I don't know how to chnge it.

Edit: Yes, I can receive incoming mail, but sending mail still doesn't wotk. It has to do something with Google IMAP, instead of POP, but I can't change IMAP to POP...

Last edited:
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP17 8GB/1.9TB 2xSSDs Sierra • MBA11 4/128GB • TC 2TB • TV3 • iPh6 128GB • iPadPro12
Is there any reason why you don't want to use Mail pre-set routine for setting up Google mail account?
I just went through this and it takes 30 seconds and requires you to type in your email and password - can't be any simpler than that, really:

ScreenShot2014-06-22at120810_zpscc0a26f2.png~original

ScreenShot2014-06-22at121455_zpse9c39fe4.png~original

ScreenShot2014-06-22at115522_zps407f4f48.png~original

ScreenShot2014-06-22at115551_zps9febd552.png~original

May I suggest you use this option, as manual setup is quite clearly not working for you. For what it worth, the gmail smtp server settings (from the automated setup) are exactly as I listed in the previous post...

Question to members, who use Google - is there even an option to have POP3, rather than IMAP?
I just setup a test account and do not see any mention of pop ... Not that I was looking hard ;P

OP
I
Reaction score
Is there any reason why you don't want to use Mail pre-set routine for setting up Google mail account?
I just went through this and it takes 30 seconds and requires you to type in your email and password - can't be any simpler than that, really:

ScreenShot2014-06-22at120810_zpscc0a26f2.png~original

ScreenShot2014-06-22at121455_zpse9c39fe4.png~original

ScreenShot2014-06-22at115522_zps407f4f48.png~original

ScreenShot2014-06-22at115551_zps9febd552.png~original

May I suggest you use this option, as manual setup is quite clearly not working for you. For what it worth, the gmail smtp server settings (from the automated setup) are exactly as I listed in the previous post...

Question to members, who use Google - is there even an option to have POP3, rather than IMAP?
I just setup a test account and do not see any mention of pop ... Not that I was looking hard ;P

ROfl, I acutally had no idea you could do that. But that first screenshot, I don't get it when I click the + (plus) button.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yes, I can receive incoming mail, but sending mail still doesn't wotk. It has to do something with Google IMAP, instead of POP, but I can't change IMAP to POP...

Sending mail has nothing to do with delivery protocol - i.e. POP3 or IMAP.
It has, however everything to do with SMTP.

I suggest you use the automated gmail setup, and see if you can post through that: if yes, than you'd need to copy smtp settings exactly as they are in the working account (or just use what works); and if not, than there's a problem with, most likely, relaying denial by your ISP/network/system manager, etc. This can be overcome by changing security protocols and opening alternative ports to get out, but it is, perhaps, a bit too involved ...

OP
I
Reaction score
I just can't find the menu on the first picture you're showing (I'm fairly new to mac, escpecially its build-it apps)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
ROfl, I acutally had no idea you could do that. But that first screenshot, I don't get it when I click the + (plus) button.

Ah, what OS X version are you running?

If you can definitely receive mail through pop.gmail.com, than all you need, is to configure your smtp:

Go to you account and click on double-arrow for smtp server, as explained above, here's what you need to put in:

ScreenShot2014-06-22at124442_zps896a41c5.png~original

ScreenShot2014-06-22at124451_zps6e8dcbff.png~original

You might want to use your own user name ;)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I just can't find the menu on the first picture you're showing (I'm fairly new to mac, escpecially its build-it apps)

What exactly do you see, when you click on [+] button in Accounts tab of Preferences?
A screenshot would be great.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac: 5K 27” (2020), 3.3 GHz, 32Gb RAM. iPad2, iPad mini4, iPhone 13 Mini, Apple Watch SE
Maybe a dumb question OP but do you actually have the gmail address you are trying to set up?

OP
I
Reaction score
Ah, what OS X version are you running?

If you can definitely receive mail through pop.gmail.com, than all you need, is to configure your smtp:

Go to you account and click on double-arrow for smtp server, as explained above, here's what you need to put in:

ScreenShot2014-06-22at124442_zps896a41c5.png~original

ScreenShot2014-06-22at124451_zps6e8dcbff.png~original

You might want to use your own user name ;)

I'm running Mountain Lion

Will tyr your walkthrough in abit, mines alll mest up now after I tried again by mysekf :'(

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.