CISS (Continuous Ink Supply Systems)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Book Pro. 2.3Ghz Intel Core i7 running OSX 10.14.6, 16GB Ram
Hi one and all, it's been a long time since I posted anything here.
I'm not sure whether I will get too many responses as I know this isn't a specific question about Apple products, but seeing as I am a Mac guy, I'd look to fellow Mac people for info.

I'm looking to get a CISS for my Brother printer and wondered if there's anyone out there who has also got one, or used one, and might have some advice.

I'd love to find an impartial website with perhaps some tests/reviews as of course each selling point sings the praises of their own systems.

As far as I can see, there are one or two basic systems, and in fact, the main issue is ink quality.

The system that looks the best to me is this.

<http://www.cityinkexpress.co.uk/ciss/brother/dcp-6690cw/dcp-series/dye-ink>

It's made by FotoRite and appears in both the UK and States under different brand names.

If anyone has any experience or thoughts on this, it would be appreciated.

Good day!

OP
Simbad54
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Hi Harry, thanks for the link. However, this is just a website selling CISS and reviewing some printers. What I really need is an impartial site that reviews what's out there. Each salesman just sings the praises of their product.
Thanks for taking the time to respond though.
:)

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
@Simbad54 I've been looking into these systems a little but have not found a site like you are looking for yet. Haven't had time to make a serious effort yet. So far it has been sites like the one Harry linked to above.

@Harry Thanks for that link. They have a kit for my printer. I think I will contact them to find out a bit more about the installation. I especially want to know how tightly you can close the top with the tubing attached. I have an all-in-one and don't need a lot of dust getting in where the print cartridges are.

OP
Simbad54
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks Slydude, for the advice. I guess I'll just have to take the plunge somehow. That system on the site that Harry linked to is the same one I linked to,as far as I can see, made by FotoRite. I might go ahead and contact the manufactures direct, to see what they say. Mainly though, I want to find a good source of ink. I'll keep this updated, on what I find out. I'm surprised there wasn't a thread already about this, to be honest.

Have a good day!

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks Craig. There was some useful info there. Including a few issues I had not considered.

Reaction score
I had looked into it , briefly, several years ago until I found out how much it costs.
Good idea if you do a LOT of printing.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
That is what I am trying to work out. Right now I am not doing a lot of printing but the following things are true:

1. I would probably print more if the ink for my printer were cheaper.
2.The startup cost for me will be about the same as maybe two sets of genuine cartridges (about $100.00)
3. The hold up for me will be how to handle those times when I am not printing much. Does the coast of printing a page or two every few days to keep the system clear offset too much of the savings to make it worth it?

OP
Simbad54
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Cradom, thanks for the links. I'd actually seen one of these a while ago but couldn't find it again.
I'm probably going to go ahead at some point and get one of these systems, but it's going to take some time I think to research them all, and figure where to get good inks.
If and when that happens I'll post my updates, to round this thread out.

Thanks again.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.