Why wont it scroll down?

Reaction score
Some apps require me to scroll down, like viewing a PDF file. But I can't get past the first few pages unless I make them Enny-Weeny, then of course I can't read the text. Is that something wrong with the OS? OR is there some trick I need to know? I don't see that with Windows computers.

It used to be that scroll bars were always visible on the RHS, now they don't appear at all.

Why did they kill that feature?

Last edited:
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
It would sure help if you mentioned what apps you were using and having problems scrolling with, and maybe even what Mac or iDevice you're using and the OS version.

M

MacInWin

Assuming Mavericks, the scroll bars are there after you start to scroll, then they disappear again. That's the default. To change it to have them there all the time, in System Preferences, General, Show Scroll Bars, pick Always and they will always be there. If not Mavericks, what do you have?

Reaction score
Use the scroll wheel or two-fingers on the trackpad. Easier than dragging those SMALL scroll bars.

M

MacInWin

Craig, I do that, too, but when the list is long, the scroll bar is faster. The bar does get bigger once you click on it, after it shows up. If I needed in more, I'd make it permanently visible, but since it's a once-in-a-while thing, I just start the scroll, the capture the scroll bar and move the rest of the way.

OP
B
Reaction score
My computer does not have a scroll wheel. Or a track pad.
So a permanent scroll bar works best.
In my case, anyway - -

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
My computer does not have a scroll wheel. Or a track pad.
So a permanent scroll bar works best.
In my case, anyway - -

WOW!!! Poor you.

That reminds me of Steve Jobs and his insistence on a simple single button mouse and without any scroll wheel.

May I suggest you do yourself a favour and get at least one - a two button mouse with scroll wheel would be my suggestion. But I don't like scroll pads or Apple's mice as they don't work well for me.

Logitech or Microsoft mice work well, and are reasonably priced.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
You still have not told us what Mac model you have nor which version of OSX.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
For documents that aren't being edited can you tap the space bar to move down one screen at a time? Holding down the scroll bar scrolls continuously. Command up arrow goes immediately to the top of the screen while command down arrow goes to the bottom.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.