MagicPrefs with Magic Mouse...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2012 Mini i5, 2.5GHz, 8GB & 2011 Mini i5, 2.3GHz, 8GB both with 20" Apple Cinema Displays
I am using MagicPrefs with my Magic Mouse.

MagicPrefs sets up Mission Control as a 'one finger click' in the middle of the Magic mouse. I’d like to change this so 'right click' launches Mission Control instead, but cannot see an option to change to this. Is it possible and can someone tell me how?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
I am using MagicPrefs with my Magic Mouse.

MagicPrefs sets up Mission Control as a 'one finger click' in the middle of the Magic mouse. I’d like to change this so 'right click' launches Mission Control instead, but cannot see an option to change to this. Is it possible and can someone tell me how?

I don't have this installed, but I'm looking over a screen cap. In the preferences for MagicPrefs, what options do you have for One Finger Tap Right?

If the option doesn't exist, then I can tell you that BetterTouchTool does in fact offer that as an option. The UI is a bit of a mess, but just judging from the screen caps for MagicPrefs, BTT is far more robust and it is still supported/updated. MagicPrefs hasn't seen an update in 2 years.

OP
born_to_hula
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2012 Mini i5, 2.5GHz, 8GB & 2011 Mini i5, 2.3GHz, 8GB both with 20" Apple Cinema Displays
what options do you have for One Finger Tap Right?

There is a 'One Finger Tap Right' option but 'tapping' rather than a definite 'click' is too unpredictable/unstable even after adjusting the sensitivity of Gesture Triggering due to random finger movements over the surface of the mouse during use (well for me anyway).

Thanks for your suggestion of BetterTouchTool: just had a quick look and it seems there is only a 'right tap' option rather than 'click'?

Last edited:
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
There is a 'One Finger Tap Right' option but 'tapping' rather than a definite 'click' is too unpredictable/unstable even after adjusting the sensitivity of Gesture Triggering due to random finger movements over the surface of the mouse during use (well for me anyway).

Thanks for your suggestion of BetterTouchTool: just had a quick look and it seems there is only a 'right tap' option rather than 'click'?

Ah yes... I forgot that these mice can click also. Let me bust mine out of cold storage and play with this. I have a workaround in mind, but this will take some experimenting.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Ok, here's the deal. The Magic Mouse actually has only one physical "click". There aren't separate left, middle, right-click buttons underneath. What it does is differentiate a click by how many fingers are actually touching the Magic Mouse when you click. So what you want to do is actually impossible. You'll have to settle for one of the existing tap, click, or swipe options already available. I would just stick to using MagicPrefs since that seems to work fine now and is easier to configure. Actually, the more I look it over, the more I like it. I just found how you can do custom actions for specific apps, like what BTT offers. You still can't do what you are looking to do though. :(

EDIT: if you opt to get a "normal" multi-button mouse instead, then what you want to do is possible using a 3rd party tool like USB Overdrive or SteerMouse.

OP
born_to_hula
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks for the above info.

if you opt to get a "normal" multi-button mouse instead

You mean like my old Mighty Mouse that right clicked Mission Control perfectly!? Pah... going backwards to go forwards ;)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Screen caps demonstrating USB Overdrive handling the buttons on my MS mouse, set to activate Mission Control.

screenshot_16.png

screenshot_17.png

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.