Dim LED on power adapter and BRAND NEW battery won't charge

Reaction score
So I just bought a new battery for my mid 2012 13.3" Macbook Pro because I read that a dim light on your power adapter could mean you have a faulty battery. It wouldn't charge, but if it was plugged in it wouldn't die either, it recognizes the charger but when I click on the battery icon it reads "battery not charging". So I bought a new battery, got it today, put it in, and still the same issue. Won't charge, recognizes charger, dim light. I spilled the kettle on this laptop almost 2 years ago and got it fixed by a techy and never had any problems until now, so I think the water damage is irrelevant. Any suggestions?

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
It is possible that the charger is failing. Do you know anyone with the same charger? If you could borrow one it wouldn't take long. If the battery is charging properly with the borrowed charger then you know the culprit.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I spilled the kettle on this laptop almost 2 years ago and got it fixed by a techy and never had any problems until now, so I think the water damage is irrelevant. Any suggestions?

Water damage is never irrelevant and has a sneaky way of catching up, even after such a long time. Anyway, do as Slydude suggested. It does sound like your charger may be the culprit.

Reaction score
1) Try a different outlet. The chargers seem to draw more than typical laptop chargers, as it doesn't seem to work correctly with my power strips.

2) It sounds like a charger problem otherwise.

Last edited:

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
1) Try a different outlet. The chargers seem to draw more than typical laptop chargers, as it doesn't seem to work correctly with my power strips.

That's a giid idea. I've had situations before where one outlet on a power strip worked fine with most devices but not others. Happened to me with a monitor. When we plugged it into a certain outlet on the strip the picture was out of whack. Anything else worked fine in the same outlet on the strip.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.