Mac G4 stops and starts

Reaction score
I have an older MAC G4 tower that will stop for about 45 seconds and then start again for a minute or two before it stops again for about 45 seconds. I have already changed the hard drive and re-installed the system software with the same results. It does not seem to be related to one particular program because it will happen no matter what program I am using.

;P

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
What do you mean by "stops and starts"?

- Nick

OP
R
Reaction score
What i mean by stopping and starting is that the computer will work fine for a few minutes and seems to be running at normal speed but then everything will freeze except for the mouse & cursor. I can move the cursor anywhere and click or double click but nothing happens for about 45sec-1minute. Then everything come back to life for a few more minutes until it freezes again. I have changed the hard drive, reset the PRAM and also changed the internal battery without any success in fixing the problem. I can send the console log readout if that would help solve the problem. Any ideas?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Before sending us the console logs, try booting your G4 in safe boot mode to see if the same problem occurs. That might point out if it's a software problem which is creating the start and stop effect.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.