iMac ethernet problem:(

B

Big Worm

Hi, I just picked up this red iMac,

g3 400, 577 megs ram, 10 gig drive etc.

I got it with OS 9.1 I think, everything worked, then I upgraded (format reinstall) OSX. Everything worked again.

I then moved the computer to a different location in the house. Upon hooking it back up to the same wired net connection (cable internet) on the same port of the switch etc... I start up and now it will not connect to the net.

screwed around with it trying to get it to get back to square one (never played with a mac up until 2 days ago) i.e. kept trying to connect via 56k modem (obviously no modem, no connection)

then I caught on that it was not the settings or anything rather there was no connection at all. Switch shows that the port is not hooked up.

So I tested the ethernet cable, worked.. everything works up until the iMac. SOMEHOW, the ethernet card does not function anymore. I am fairly positive. I then formated and reinstalled OSX, still no dice. no sign of life from ethernet.

Any ideas? and if the ethernet is fried, is it possible to replace it? or am I screwed?

thanks.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.