dvd stuck in iMac drive

Reaction score
How do I get dvd out of iMac drive. The image does not show up on the desk top so I can drag it to the trash bin. Have used the top row button to drive to eject and that does nothing. Any ideas, please?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Air M2 ('22) OS 14.3; M3 iMac ('23) OS 14.3; iPad Pro; iPhone 14
Thanks, chscag. Was able to get the disc out.

Hi Adloona - just for interest, how did you remove the DVD? Might help others - Dave :)

OP
A
Reaction score
I turned imac off. Pushed left button on mouse, turned on imac. Could hear the disc drive working. I used the eject button on the top row and it ejected. Am thankful for this forum. Thanks again.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
I turned imac off. Pushed left button on mouse, turned on imac. Could hear the disc drive working. I used the eject button on the top row and it ejected. Am thankful for this forum. Thanks again.

Thanks for the solution that worked you.:) Yes...the old...hold down the mouse button trick during startup...is one of the methods used to eject a disk in the optical drive.

- Nick

C

chas_m

For instances where that doesn't work ... here's another option:

1. Put a towel down underneath your iMac. The reason why will be come obvious.
2. Lift and set the iMac down on its side on the towel, with the DVD drive facing down over the edge of the table/desk. DO NOT let go of the iMac, in case it's not balanced to stay on the table/desk.
3. Start up the iMac, holding down the mouse/trackpad button. Keep holding down the mouse/trackpad button until you hear the drive try to cough out the disc.
4. Gravity should do enough to get the disc to pop out at least enough for you to grab it.
5. GENTLY (now that its on) turn the iMac back upright and remove the towel.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.