Best macbook for college? Please help!

Reaction score
Right now I'm typing on my old Dell Inspiron laptop that is five years old. I need a new laptop for college and I need help deciding between an air and pro. I was leaning towards air because I'm not that high maintenance when it comes to laptops. I want something that I can write essays with, surf the web, and store my pictures. I don't have that much storage that I need because I don't download music or do gaming. However I am majoring in journalism so if anyone has any info. on that that could help it would be much appreciated. Thank you!

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
Welcome to Mac-Forums..

The Macbook Air is a good fit based on your stated needs. You can go with the 256GB SSD based Macbook Air based on your budget. If that doesn't fit in your budget, then I would just go with the 128GB Macbook Air and grab an external hard drive to hold your files..

My wife has the 13" MBA which she uses for surfing the web and light photo manipulation and it works really well for her. Additionally, the battery life of the MBA's coupled with its light weight make it very portable..

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Two things:

1. The "best" laptop for college is the one you can afford (in your budget).
2. Get at least 4gig of ram (8gig even better for the long term).

If you're currently using a 5 year-old Windows laptop. Any Apple laptop will be a big upgrade…so you can't really go wrong.:)

- Nick

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.