downloads icon/file lost

Reaction score
:pI have no idea how I managed to delete this from my dock, but I don't know where to locate it.....I NEED IT.....help???

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
Open your Home folder. That's the one with the tiny white "house" icon. Now drag the Downloads folder in there back to the Dock. Make sure to drop it on the right hand side.

As to how it happened, any icon can be dragged off the Dock with the mouse. It will disappear if you release the mouse button.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
The Home �� Folder should be in the Sidebar of Finder. If not Open finder goto the Menu Bar and then Finder>Preferences>Sidebar and then go down and click the box where the �� is and then got back to finder and follow the above instructions from toMACsh.

As for the Time ?? All I can suggest, is if your talking about the time in the forum posts, then that can be changed by clicking Quick Links at the top of the page, and then Edit Options, and then change the Time Zone to where you live.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
If you lost it from the Dock, open Finder, and in the Sidebar click on the Little House icon, which will be the Home Folder, and Downloads will be there and just drag it back to the Dock, near the Trash can icon.
If its not in your Home Folder you have bigger problems.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
i have lost my download folder! how do i locate it?

In June, and now again in November... Perhaps we should explore how this is happening and try to come up with strategies to prevent it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
In June, and now again in November... Perhaps we should explore how this is happening and try to come up with strategies to prevent it.

Why not just change the preferences in the app and set the desktop (usually via 'other…") as the default download location.

Then they can be dealt with properly, used, filed or Trashed as needed, rather than hiding out in the users home folder where many can't even locate it.

OP
L
Reaction score
I have NOT been able to locate the "little house". When I follow your directions, I find a drop down window that lists all my favorites, shared and something else below that. I haven't attempted to download anything since I last left a message. I feel like a complete idiot now.....

C

chas_m

1. Double-click on the hard drive icon in the upper right corner of your screen.
2. Locate the folder called "Users." Double-click to open it.
3. Inside will be a folder with your name on it. That is your home folder. Double-click to open it.
4. Here you will find a folder called "Downloads." Drag it to the right side of the dock on the bottom of your screen. Be careful to do this in one fluid motion -- do not drop the icon on your desktop.

Reaction score
Open Finder (the smiley face on the Dock).
Does the window look like this?
Click on the house next to your name.
See the Downloads folder?
Drag that to the Dock.

craig 2014-12-29 09-41-09.png

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
To get to your Home folder when in the Finder, try selecting it from the Finder menu. It or the hard drive may not be enabled in the Finder Preferences to show, even in the sidebar.

Like this two step click:

finder_go_tab.png

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.