Macbook Pro Cooling Question

Reaction score
Hello,

I have a late 2013 Macbook pro Retina that I use for college purposes. In-between classes, I play a few games such as dota 2 and star conflict, and occasionally run CPU-intensive programs

It doesn't take long, especially with star conflict, to make the system fans start running at maximum. After 10-20 minutes, the bottom is very warm.

My question: Is there a way to cool the laptop during heavy operation?

I've looked at various laptop coolers, and have read many very mixed reviews over the benefits over these products. Is there a particular external cooler that you would recommend?

Thanks.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
It doesn't take long, especially with star conflict, to make the system fans start running at maximum. After 10-20 minutes, the bottom is very warm.

My question: Is there a way to cool the laptop during heavy operation?

I've looked at various laptop coolers...

Very normal when playing games or other high demand activities.

Other than using your computer in a refrigerated room (or in a freezer)...you just got to be sure to not block any of the computers air inlet or outlets.

- Nick

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
In-between classes, I play a few games such as dota 2 and star conflict, and occasionally run CPU-intensive programs

I've looked at various laptop coolers, and have read many very mixed reviews over the benefits over these products. Is there a particular external cooler that you would recommend?

As you mentioned...many laptop coolers aren't worth it. Bad designs...not enough air flow...etc. You have to remember that even with great air flow...the air being used to cool the computer (via the cooler) is the same temp air that the computer itself is trying to use. So the benefits of even the best laptop cooler are limited.

As I mentioned above...the best way to keep a laptop cool would be to operate it in a room with a lower temp. But Apple laptops are designed to shut down if they get too hot....so a cool room is great...but usually not mandatory.

If you're interested further...you can download a temp. monitoring app. to check what the temps actually are (they may not be a high as you think...or others have reported).

- Nick

OP
A
Reaction score
Thanks, pigoo3.

I'm glad to know I can't destroy my hardware, I'll check into a temperature monitoring app.

I just get worried when I hear the fans operating at maximum. Thankfully, the college is air-conditioned, so it's not as if I'm in an oven while playing, but still.

After a great deal of searching, I've found something that might work, but it's not out yet.

The TILT Stealth | madMINDS LLC

The Stealth Tilt may work, but I'm not sure if it will be compatible with a retina display model.

Thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP17 8GB/1.9TB 2xSSDs Sierra • MBA11 4/128GB • TC 2TB • TV3 • iPh6 128GB • iPadPro12
I've been using CoolFeet by Bluelounge with my MacBook Pro 17" for almost four years now, and am quite happy with it. I often commute between two locations on opposite sides of Atlantic and actually bought two sets of these - I'm that lazy ;)

Easy to stick on, even easier to remove, love the slight angle it gives - excellent for typing, plus it keeps all the USB cables neat and tidy (as they go under the laptop):

IMG_0673-1_zps7954077e.jpg~original

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.