Problems installing new SSD drive into MBP 2012 model

Reaction score
Hi all,

I've just recieved a new replacement drive for my macbook pro as my crucial M4 harddrive just decided to die for no apparent reason (flashing question mark on folder of death!). So I've got my new crucial MX100 replacement and upon installing it into my MBP when trying to launch into internet recovery mode to reinstall the OSX mountain lion or to do a timetcapsule recover, the drive is not detected.

What I've tried so far:

-At first I thought that this might be a defective drive again but when I enter disk utilities, the laptop can see that the new harddrive is installed. I tried to format the drive into Mac OS journaled but it gets halfway and then get's stuck on 'partitioning' and wont move further past this. I left it overnight and still no progress so I've had to exit the formatting procedure.

-I tried a power cycle just incase the new drive was acting funny but still, the MBP cannot see the new drive as being installed. When I either click on install OS mountain lion from the commang + r menu or holding the option key on boot, I still cannot see the new drive so I can install the software. Same issue when I enter timecapsule- the drive is simply not seen as a device which the software can be installed onto.

What I've got left to try:
-As it stands I only have access to a windows desktop pc. What I am planning to do is to take the new SSD and plug in using a SATA cable to try and reformat in the windows machine.

-Try to source a mountain lion install disk and hope I can boot from this?

Other than this does anyone have any other suggestions?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
I'd try both you're old and new drives and see if they can be recognised under windows.

Sadly, from what you've described I'd suggest it's not the drives at fault but your MBP.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
I'm a bit confused here. If you put in a brand new SSD, then you cannot possibly be booting Internet Recovery from it. The partition that contains that little bit of software is only added when you install Lion or later onto it. What exactly are you booting off of?

There's a chance that the new drive itself is defective. If you have the same problem trying to partition it on a Windows PC, then that would confirm that.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
If you have a Mac that supports it you can use "internet recovery" rather than "recovery" with a completely black hard drive and no OSX disc

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
If you have a Mac that supports it you can use "internet recovery" rather than "recovery" with a completely black hard drive and no OSX disc

Oh really? I hadn't heard of that, though I always thought Apple should hard-code that feature in since they removed the DVD drives. Good to know... thanks for the correction!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Not sure which was the first model to support, or which model the OP has though.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.