Using Army-required software in OS X

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
My niece is considering an iMac in the near future but needs to be sure the software she has to run for her work in the Army will be up to the task. In particular, she mentioned ActivClient (which does in fact have a Mac version available) and eSign, which is being phased out according to their support page. She wants to specifically know about using SharePoint and and signing Army and medical documents. I don't see any reason she can't do any of this in OS X, but I'd rather someone with more specific experience in this chime in. Much appreciated!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
IMHO life a cheap Dell Latitude running Windows 7 Professional 64bit would be the go.

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
16Gb Mac Mini 2018, 15" MacBook Pro 2012 1 TB SSD
Hard to believe they will let her use any personal computer.

I work for DA and we don't allow any non-govt issued and non-govt managed devices to access the official network. Guess that could vary by organization, but . . . ????

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I agree with Mike. Even though I didn't work for the department of defense, we were not allowed to even bring personal computers into our work area. It was a strict government regulation because of the sensitive data that was stored on the main frames and workstations. Of course that was some time ago. I'm not sure if the same restrictions hold true or not?

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
16Gb Mac Mini 2018, 15" MacBook Pro 2012 1 TB SSD
I agree with Mike. Even though I didn't work for the department of defense, we were not allowed to even bring personal computers into our work area. It was a strict government regulation because of the sensitive data that was stored on the main frames and workstations. Of course that was some time ago. I'm not sure if the same restrictions hold true or not?

It has only gotten worse over the years! :p

OP
L
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
IMHO life a cheap Dell Latitude running Windows 7 Professional 64bit would be the go.

For the sake of argument, why? This won't be strictly for Army (Army National Guard, actually). They'd use it for the typical family stuff (photos, videos) but not games. Obviously a Windows PC would work just fine, but she's willing to spend extra for something that will hold up longer and perform well for a longer period.

Hard to believe they will let her use any personal computer.

I work for DA and we don't allow any non-govt issued and non-govt managed devices to access the official network. Guess that could vary by organization, but . . . ????

Well it's not strictly for Army National Guard work, if that makes a difference, and both she and her husband are in veterinary school, so I guess she telecommutes for her Army work while in school.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
That makes it a horse of a different colour.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
"Horses of a different color":lol ;)

epic-horse-running.jpg

Avenger_-_Westphalian_horse.jpg

M

MacInWin

OK, back to the topic..although all the horses were interesting...She could use BootCamp to install Windows to use when she needs it for those applications. She might also be able to use either VMWare or Parallels to run Windows as a virtual machine. All of those solutions require hat she have a retail copy of Windows to install (not the OEM version) so there is some expense with that.

OP
L
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
OK, back to the topic..although all the horses were interesting...She could use BootCamp to install Windows to use when she needs it for those applications. She might also be able to use either VMWare or Parallels to run Windows as a virtual machine. All of those solutions require hat she have a retail copy of Windows to install (not the OEM version) so there is some expense with that.

Oh I mentioned all those as possibilities. At the moment, they are looking at getting an HP desktop since they already have a monitor and peripherals. An iMac is just a bit steep at the moment, and throwing in the cost of a retail copy of Windows (if it proved to be necessary) doesn't help. I think learning a whole new platform while juggling school, work, and 2 toddlers is probably a bit much for their plate right now anyway. Thanks to all for the input.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.