• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

iDVD not working as it once did

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac-21.5"(2017):OS Catalina 10.15.2 IOS13.3 iPhone 8+ iPadpro v2
My primary video work is to copy tv shows for granddaughter (recorded at off times). I use iMovie to edit commercials, etc and share to files (mp3). She view the shows either on ipad or tv via Apple TV and occasionally from a burned dvd. I use verbatim dvd-r discs and have piles that were burned without a problem. Lately I am getting a message that the burning is done and disc has been ejected, but the whole process had not completed. The ejection occurs during the multiplexing. Any suggestions?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
First thing to do is clean the drive with compressed air and then try again. Buy one of those cans of compressed air you can find at most chain stores such as Wal-Mart or Target and use it to blow several short blasts of air into the drive.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PPC Mini, 10.4.11. Intel Mini, 10.6.8. MacBook Pro, 10.14.6. M1 MBA 11.6.3 iPhone 5 iOS 12.5,
Try saving your iDVD Project as a Disc Image via the File menu. If that works, you can then use Disk Image to burn a dvd.

OP
T
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Still in the process of trying to solve the problem. Chscag, I tried the air blast, but nothing. MightyGem, I've done the save as image and burn from Finder but that is just one long extra step I never needed to do. I've search for info about idvd stopping during multiplexing, but nothing of real help. What i finally did was to do a n Apple Hardware Test. Took me some time to figure out what should have been simple directions. Problem was that during the 1st 2 tests, all I had was keyboard input, no mouse and the Apple info page tells me to do the extended test, but unnamable to check that box. On 3rd time, my mouse was working. Having the error codes did not help since again the Apple dirs were lacking. Thank goodness for CNET-they told me the errors related to internal fan of iMac. I then did a SMC reset and a reset of PRAM. Now to give iDVD another try--wish me luck

OP
T
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
This has got to be one of the most frustrating problems I've encountered mainly because Apple is of NO help

C

chas_m

Do you get the same results if you burn the file to a DVD-R rather than a DVD-RW? I've noticed that RWs are quite picky about being erased properly before they can be reused.

OP
T
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Just had my last DVD-R become a coaster. Created an .img of my video and attempted to burn to DVD-R using disk utility, but it spit it out with medium error. Tried again with DVD-RW that has worked in past, but same error. Next step is to run a lens cleaner through the superdrive. I am hoping this is the magic trick

C

chas_m

Yeah, the problem appears to be with the DVD burner rather than iDVD, though I'm wondering how much free space you have left on your drive? Mastering DVDs takes a HUGE amount of reserve space (2-3 times the actual space of the movie file), and that could also be your issue. If you have less than 100GB of space free, I'd try doing some "spring cleaning" and see if that helps.

If it does turn out to be a fault in the DVD burner, a USB-based external one should cost you maybe $50.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
Good suggestion chase_m. I didn't think about the huge amount of free space needed for the encoding and setup of that burn.

@OP If you haven't already done so I'd try that burn with as few other programs running as possible. It might not help but it's worth a try.

Last edited:
OP
T
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Chas_m , Slydude,
Thanks for help and suggestions. I ran the lens cleaner twice since I even had a cd-r kicked out, which never happened before. DVD-R still not happening. I have over 600 GB of free hdd space and I made sure that nothing was running other than the disk utility while trying my last dvd-r. Heading to the nearest apple store today, time to let the builder take a look.

OP
T
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Ruellasmith
So similar to my prob. Disc almost finished and then idvd spits it out with a minute or so till finished. My prob continued to worsen until my SuperDrive stopped burning DVDs all together. I'll let you know what the Genius Bar says at the apple store

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.