Return receipt request on iPad?

Reaction score
Is there any way to request a return receipt or otherwise know hat recipient got the email on an iPad?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Mail does not do return receipts any more. Went out some time ago. Like bounce. Receipients just refused to acknowledge.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Is there any way to request a return receipt or otherwise know hat recipient got the email on an iPad?

Use your "messages" app on the iPad instead. That way you'll know when the recipient has received your message. I use it instead of email on my iPhone also. Otherwise, as Harry stated, you won't get a return receipt.

C

chas_m

If it didn't bounce back to you, they got it. What they might do about it is a completely different story.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP17 8GB/1.9TB 2xSSDs Sierra • MBA11 4/128GB • TC 2TB • TV3 • iPh6 128GB • iPadPro12
There's a way to do it for Mail in OS X, but not in iOS, as far as I know. As chaps said, it's pretty archaic, and, with a small exception of some government service departments, setup to acknowledge by default, all but useless. I had it disabled (i.e. went back to Apple's default) about two years ago ...

C

chas_m

Speaking for myself, I always deeply resented return-receipt-requested emails. To me, they are shouting "PAY ATTENTION TO ME NOW! I'M MORE IMPORTANT!!" which naturally elicits exactly the opposite reaction in me and into the bin they go!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP17 8GB/1.9TB 2xSSDs Sierra • MBA11 4/128GB • TC 2TB • TV3 • iPh6 128GB • iPadPro12
I always deeply resented return-receipt-requested emails.

It used to be pretty standard practice in corporate world, harking back to the times, when one would telephone immediately after sending a fax, to confirm a safe, i.e. legible, receipt ... :D

Some government service departments set to email receipt acknowledgement automatically, whether requested by sender or not - just the other day, I got one from the local Council Tax office, and that's to one of my private accounts, which never had return receipt request enabled in the first place.

This is a second thread in as many days, making me feel sufficiently dinosaur-ish, whereby something I always took for granted, revealed to be neither obvious, nor universally accepted, if slightly archaic, practice ... :\

g0210551resized_zps586ae0d0.png~original

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Well Dave I took you as a Brontosaurus not a Stegosaurus my lad!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Well Dave I took you as a Brontosaurus not a Stegosaurus my lad!

g0210594resized_zps5d93d4be.png~original

Yes, that's true, I started my life as one, but then I grew a slightly larger brain and some spikes ;D

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.