• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Mac Pricing Overseas Resellers..

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
L2012 Mini, i7 2.6Ghz, 8GB RAM, 256GB SSD + 1TB HDD(fusion), BenQ 32" 2.5k QHD Display
Hey Everyone..
I was up in Manila Philippines this weekend for a VA appoint. Well anyway I went over to the Mall of Asia, its a super huge mall if you have never been there. Well anyway I wanted to go by the Power Mac Center, a "certified apple reseller". Since I have been heavily considering the base model Power Mac, I wanted to see what they wanted for it. Now to start with this computer isn't small. Its actually twice the size it looks like in the photos to me at least. To give you an idea, its circumference is really close to that of the Mac Mini. Just about a foot taller. Well anyway, I seen the price and I was thinking, hey does this come with a TB display. They said no. Only the base model.. They wanted 156,000 PhP for the machine!! Thats $3,565.71 based on current exchange rate of 43.75 PhP per 1 US dollar. So they are charging OVER $1000 more then Apples listed MSRP. Is this legal in terms of doing business with Apple. I know how they like to maintain a good image.. But this is killing them. The sales guys loosely said it was due to import taxes.

IDK, keep in mind. Sales tax is included in the sale price here in the Philippines, but that would only be about 200 or so dollars.. I think they are ripping people off.

What do y'all think?

Reaction score
sure, these things always hurt the brand. If I walk into a McDonalds not matter where in the world I want the exact same experience. Over-charching $1000 is a bit over the top!

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
There are a few scammers in the Amazon U.S. store that sell Macs (and other PCs) for $1,000+ higher than Apple sells them for. They ship in 7-14 days because they take your money, then after it clears they go buy one at retail and then ship it to you.

OP
Exodist
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
L2012 Mini, i7 2.6Ghz, 8GB RAM, 256GB SSD + 1TB HDD(fusion), BenQ 32" 2.5k QHD Display
Yea if they were 500 more, it would be a shock. But after thinking about it. I would consider it a realistic trade off due to high import taxes here. But 1000 pushed it to far.. I made sure I let them know that also.. I was conferring getting one by the end of next year. And I may still. But looks like I will have it shipped from the US. My credit card only goes to 3K.. LOL

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac: 5K 27” (2020), 3.3 GHz, 32Gb RAM. iPad2, iPad mini4, iPhone 13 Mini, Apple Watch SE
Base model in the UK is £2499 which is around $4242. That's around $1300 more than in the US. I reckon the Philippines are getting a bargain. Welcome to our world!

OP
Exodist
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Base model in the UK is £2499 which is around $4242. That's around $1300 more than in the US. I reckon the Philippines are getting a bargain. Welcome to our world!

OMG.. Ouch..

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Before we start saying "ouch" for Apple prices in the UK…one thing to remember…UK VAT is 20% on many/most items. Apple has nothing to do with the amount of the VAT.

Homes, automobiles, gasoline, clothing, food, etc. all cost different amounts around the world. Computer prices vary as well. Just the way it is.

Many countries throughout the world have different economies, internal taxes, tax rates, import taxes, etc. Comparing the prices of Apple products between countries is not an "Apples to Apples" or "Oranges to Oranges" comparison.

These things don't totally explain the prices differences for Apple products from country to country…but it's a big part of it. Here's an article that discuss's things further:

Some Apple Customers Outside US Pay up to 12% More, and It's Not VAT - The Mac Observer

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac: 5K 27” (2020), 3.3 GHz, 32Gb RAM. iPad2, iPad mini4, iPhone 13 Mini, Apple Watch SE
Thank goodness for trips to the US - iPads are so easy to pack into luggage! My next iMac might cause a few problems though :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Same down under Mac Pro prices.

Purchased 64bit Windows 7 Professional in Kuala Lumpar, Malaysia, when it was first released. When I had problems activating here in Australia Microsoft would not help as it 'was not a local product'.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP17 8GB/1.9TB 2xSSDs Sierra • MBA11 4/128GB • TC 2TB • TV3 • iPh6 128GB • iPadPro12
Thank goodness for trips to the US - iPads are so easy to pack into luggage! My next iMac might cause a few problems though :)

Hear-hear ;D The MBP•17" box was remarkably small too :Lips-Are-Sealed:

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.