Seeking Help with Connecting MacBook to TV

Reaction score
So I'm trying to connect my MacBook to my tv but I've been running into issues in terms of what cords will work. It's a late 2008 model (model 4,1 to be precise) running OS 10.5.8. After much research the best option seemed to be to go with a mini-DVI to HDMI converter which I then plugged into an HDMI cord connected to my tv, which is a Samsung HDTV (Model UN46EH5000), along with a 3.5mm to RCA audio cable cord in order to transmit sound (after learning that DVI only transmits video and not audio). But once I plugged everything in (triple-checking to make sure all the plugs were secure and everything was plugged into the right jacks) I still was only able to get video and no sound. I know the cords work because I tested them out on a friend's tv and got it working just fine, sound and all, which means it's probably not a connection issue with my mac either. It seems to be just the sound component that's causing an issue with my tv and I can't figure if there's some sort of setting on my mac (or possibly even on the tv) that I'm missing or if I simply need different cables in order to connect my mac with my specific tv model...not sure if this is the right place to post this since it's highly likely that this is more of an issue to do with my tv than my mac but I figured I'd give it a shot.

Here's a link to what the ports look like on the back of my tv (I know it's not the clearest picture but in the "Component/AV In" section I've got Audio Right and Left, PR and PB, and Y/Video, then at the bottom I've got Audio Out, Digital Audio Out (Optical), and Ex-Link): http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51d58w2Q8LL.jpg

And here's a link to the user's manual for my tv with information on connecting external devices on page 3: http://downloadcenter.samsung.com/content/UM/201204/20120404171145166/%5BUE4000-5000-ZX%5DBN68-04499D-00-ENG_web_0404.pdf

Any help anyone could give would be much appreciated even if it's to direct me to a more proper site or forum to post my issue if you feel this is an inappropriate place to post this!

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Last edited:
OP
Y
Reaction score
Wow, all of your posts are exactly what I've been looking for all this time! I don't know why none of them came up in the numerous searches I was conducting on google and on here but oh well...at least I finally understand what the problem is and which cords and converters to use! Thanks so much for your help!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.