iPod from PC to Mac?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Intel 20" Mac
I am using my PC right now for updating my iPod and all that and have been for a long time. I am getting a new iMac and I want to use that for updating and that stuff instead of my PC.

What do I have to do to do that? Do I have to install anything like I had to for the PC? And precautions or steps? I don't want to just plug in the iPod into the mac and get errors and mess things up. :eek:neye:

Any help on this would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 8x3.0ghz 12gb ram 8800GT , MBP 2.16 2GB Ram 17 inch.
all you will need is a program like podutil or ipoddisk... they both allow you to take songs off of your ipod and put them onto a computer.. just don't let your ipod sync with your new computer until you have the library all set up, or it will erase all the songs on your ipod.

OP
B
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Intel 20" Mac
I will try those out.

How about connecting the iPod to the mac though? Do I need to install anything for the iPod itself or can i just plug and go?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PB G4. 15" 512MB RAM & EMac G4 superdrive
Beemer said:
can i just plug and go?

Plug and go, I did. The same USB cable that came with the iPod goes both ways (Mac or PC)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Powerbook G4/ 15.2"/ 1.67 ghz/ 2 gb RAM/ ATI Mobility Radeon 9700 (128 mb RAM)/ 100 gb hdd@ 5400 RPM
I suggest Senuti for your movement. It has a very cool iTunes-esque feel to it, and it is very easy to use.

OP
B
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Intel 20" Mac
I ended up using Broken Helix program for moving songs to computer from my iPod. The Senuti wouldn't recongize my iPod or couldnt do something so i gave up. BH works but the songs moved to the computer were named in letters like GHT2.mp3 so I'm not sure what they are. Maybe iTunes will recongize really the song name and artist. Thank you guys for helpin.

M

MJGUK

Also, I formatted my iPods to reset them with the Mac file system, as opposed to fat32 or another Windows esque system.

OP
B
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Intel 20" Mac
MJGUK said:
Also, I formatted my iPods to reset them with the Mac file system, as opposed to fat32 or another Windows esque system.

How do you do that? What is different?

M

MJGUK

Well I also recently moved from updating my iPod on Windows to Mac and when I connected the iPod to the Mac, it was.....behaving strangely....Auto-disconnecting from the system after the first sync and refusing to reconnect.
I decided that this was probably down to the fact that it was using a Windows File System.

So I downloaded the iPod Updater and reformated my iPods to the Mac File System.
They worked perfectly from that point onwards.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Powerbook G4/ 15.2"/ 1.67 ghz/ 2 gb RAM/ ATI Mobility Radeon 9700 (128 mb RAM)/ 100 gb hdd@ 5400 RPM
Beemer said:
I ended up using Broken Helix program for moving songs to computer from my iPod. The Senuti wouldn't recongize my iPod or couldnt do something so i gave up. BH works but the songs moved to the computer were named in letters like GHT2.mp3 so I'm not sure what they are. Maybe iTunes will recongize really the song name and artist. Thank you guys for helpin.

Did you go into iTunes a click "Enable Disc Use" on your iPod?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 17" Intel Core Duo 1.83GHz 512 MB Ram 128 vRAM 60GB HD
Hmm...

If you have iPod installer on the Mac (I think it comes with the mac, if not just download it from apple's website), plug in your iPod and open up the installer. Then hit "Restore" or whatever puts it to factory defaults. *This will erase the iPod, back everything up first*. This will format it for Mac. You can't switch between PC and Mac, one or the other. It's gotta be formatted for whichever computer you're using. So make up your mind and do it. That may be why your iPod's acting up... did you restore it and set it up as a Mac iPod?

H

HiImGlen

I can't wait for a Microsoft MP3 player. I bet it will be a million times better than the poorly made iPod. The features on it are so lame... Yet another dissapointing creation from Apple.

M

MJGUK

HiImGlen said:
I can't wait for a Microsoft MP3 player. I bet it will be a million times better than the poorly made iPod. The features on it are so lame... Yet another dissapointing creation from Apple.
Wow um, thanks for joining the forums especially to tell us that.

That must be really satisfying for you!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" iBook G4 1.33Ghz
BlindingLights said:
If you have iPod installer on the Mac (I think it comes with the mac, if not just download it from apple's website), plug in your iPod and open up the installer. Then hit "Restore" or whatever puts it to factory defaults. *This will erase the iPod, back everything up first*. This will format it for Mac. You can't switch between PC and Mac, one or the other. It's gotta be formatted for whichever computer you're using. So make up your mind and do it. That may be why your iPod's acting up... did you restore it and set it up as a Mac iPod?

I recently did the switch from PC to Mac (with no regrets at all!!)...anyway, my 4G iPod is still in M$ Windblows file system format and is working quite OK with my Mac...

The only reservation about switching the file system totally to Mac is that I use the iPod as storage device on a Windows machine....Based on what I interpret on the Apple Support, once changed to mac format, you can't use it as a harddrive on window machines :( (am I wrong with the interpretation??)

Cheers

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 17" Intel Core Duo 1.83GHz 512 MB Ram 128 vRAM 60GB HD
that was with older iPod's i'm not sure if that's the way it still is.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.