Gutting PowerMac G5 - HDD assembly

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15in MBP 2.5GHz Core2Duo | 1.83Ghz Dual G5 PowerMac | 2.0 GHz Dual G5 PowerMac
Hey all, I'm in the process off gutting first of the two PowerMac G5s i have because i want to turn them into legs for a table. I have pretty much gotten everything out, but i'm trying to figure out how to get the hard drive assembly piece out, and i can't figure out how to get it past the upper lip of the case. I was able to loosen it, but i can't figure out how to get it out of there.

I'm sure i would need to remove the plate on that separates the hard drive and CD drive from the mobo, but i removed the screws to the case and it won't slide out. Any ideas on how to remove that, because i bet if i get that out, the HDD assembly will fall out.

Thanks

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
If you're using these two Powermac G5's as table leg's…why do you need to gut them…or gut them 100%?

As far as the question. I don't think too many of us have a Powermac G5 laying around. And if we do…I don't think that we want to experiment with it to find the answer. I think that you just need to "follow your nose"…and figure it out as you go.:)

I know that some parts/mounting assy's in some Apple computers are "pop-riveted" (or riveting of some sort). And these need to be drilled out.

- Nick

OP
mknabster
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15in MBP 2.5GHz Core2Duo | 1.83Ghz Dual G5 PowerMac | 2.0 GHz Dual G5 PowerMac
Yea i thought it would ask, because i know a lot of people take apart G5s to make things out of them, but it's all good. I wanted to gut them more as a weight savings idea. They won't be individual legs, but it'll make sense once it's all done. I'll probably post up shots once i'm done with it. But yea, i might just take a dremel to those areas to get it apart. :Cool:

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
They won't be individual legs, but it'll make sense once it's all done.

Ok…I see. I was imagining a narrow table of sorts…with a PM G5 supporting each end.

More weight could be beneficial depending on the design. Might make the table more stable.

I'll probably post up shots once i'm done with it.

Looking forward to seeing it.:)

- Nick

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.