My computer has some issues. Should I do Migration Assistant to my new computer?

Reaction score
I have a new MBP. But I've decided to return it for a different model refurbished one with more processing power. In the two weeks I've had it, it's done some wonky things: one time I got the grey screen telling me I needed to restart it and twice the cursor just wouldn't move so I had to shut the thing down.

When I get my new computer, should I do Migration Assistant from this newish computer to the new one? Are these sorts of problems likely specific to the computer I'm returning or might they be issues with the Os X in which case I worry Migration Assistant might pass the problem along?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Without knowing if the problem is hardware or software related, I probably would not use the Migration Assistant. You may be better off doing a clean install of your Apps and data to the new machine. Just make sure you have serial numbers and or registration information that's needed for those apps that require it. It's more work that way but better safe than sorry.

OP
O
Reaction score
Doh! I know some things I just dont have the CDs for anymore - like FCP7 - so id rather not do that. but what you say makes sense...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Well if you would rather not do that, don't. Most kernel panics are hardware related, the grey screen with restart in multi languages, so who knows. Try Migration Assistant. You can always format the drive again.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.