• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Why does Apple logo get censored on TV?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
Of course for certain products that are very seasonal or date specific...then companies will "dump" most of their advertising budget in a short time. Such as Valentines Day, Easter, Christmas, etc.

... the Super Bowl ;)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
L2012 Mini, i7 2.6Ghz, 8GB RAM, 256GB SSD + 1TB HDD(fusion), BenQ 32" 2.5k QHD Display
No brand is going to sue a show/movie for showcasing their products. .........

This is actually not always true..

There are a few sports cars like Ferrari that I can not take photos of and sale without getting approval from and signing a legal licensing agreement with Ferrari..

That said if something happens on the set or the show gets a bad rap that showcases a popular brand without a written agree meant in some shape or form can lead to a legal lawsuit for damaging that brands image..

Which is also why I am converting my business over to a LLC, Limited Liability Corp.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 2014 i5 5k 32gb 1tb fusion, second TB display, 2014 MBA
I ran this by a professor of law at the university. I don't think he has ever watched a TV show in his lifetime, but his take on it as a generic question is...

Realizing that, in the US with our somewhat asinine civil system, while you can sue a person for having dyed hair if it offends you, bringing such a lawsuit does not usually equal winning the lawsuit.

A company has no legal standing to prohibit the generic display of their logo, if the product is displayed in a normal setting. i.e., you can publish a video on YouTube on how to program While Loops in Perl, and the fact that your MacBook's glowing apple is visible in full glory does not violate copyright or trademark laws. That is like the "you have no expectation of privacy in public" type of situation where someone's camera sees you entering the adult video shop.

(I decoded this as sort of a "fair use" for cameras. And I sure hope he is right. I make lots of programming videos that I post online and I brag about my Apple in them.)

Merely showing a logo in a video is not a breach of trademark or copyright. If it were, then Hollywood could never use a camera in public. If it were a breach, then Joe's Cajun Tacos could sue because his sign was shown in two frames during the high speed car chase. And so could every other business up and down the street, from the start of the shootout until the bad guys get their comeuppance at the end of the chase.

(And in my amateur opinion, I have absolutely no doubt that there are many lawyers who would jump at the chance to bill a blockbuster movie for showing their client's sign without permission.)

Again, even inside shots that showed a stray Dr. Pepper can, a bag of Planters peanuts, or suchlike could start a chain of legal problems. For that matter, what if you take a picture of your kid's birthday party at the playground of McDonalds. Do you owe them money because the twin arches in your snapshots? How about that coke can that your child is holding? What happens when it shows up in public on Facebook?

According to the Broadcasting and Cable magazine, it is now business as usual for a production company to approach a corporation with the offer to showcase their products. For money, of course. And if they refuse, then their logo will be covered or blanked out if the item is necessary for the movie/TV video, but most often, another product from a more amenable company is used.

But, once again in the practical aspects, and harking back to our freedom to sue for anything, a deep pocket corporation can destroy a smaller company, even if the suit has no merit, and it has been thrown out by the courts multiple times. Even a state with SLAPP suit laws can sometimes only partially protect the victim.

...END of professional opinion...

So, (my opinion again) some of the product blurring may just be from legal advice from their lawyers.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Exactly.:) Better safe than sorry (lawyer advice). Companies have "deep pockets". Lawsuits can be tied up in the courts for years & years. Big companies can afford to spend millions & millions of dollars in legal fees…but the folks/companies that they are being sued cannot afford this.

If the average TV show or movie showed every company logo they wanted (without being blurred)…the next day they might have 10, 20, or more company lawyers knocking on their door with legal papers suing them (this would be for just one TV episode or one movie).

Each of those lawsuits could cost millions of dollars…thus multiply that by 10, 20, etc. Then multiply this by the number of episodes each TV show air's. As you can see…this can add up to some BIG BIG bucks.

In business (which TV show & movies area)…it's MUCH better to be safe than sorry. The cost/risk of showing non-approved company logos…just isn't worth it.

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
Calling Randy B Singer, This is your Bread and Butter, Randy are you out there ?? :p

Reaction score
I guess one can assume that any un-blurred logos are very likely product placements. (Or somebody has not been paying attention).

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
I was watching one of the major TV news channels here in the US today...and as the camera was zooming out on one of the newscasters...a MacBook Pro (with the Apple logo clearly visible) started coming into view on the newscasters desktop.

Once the zooming-out stopped...the camera person slowly panned from left to right...which suspiciously took the Apple logo out of view...but you could still see the newscaster fine.

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Let's not forget "Scottie" talking to a Macintosh computer in one the older Star Trek movies some years ago. And I don't know how many times I've seen MacBook Pros being used by newscasters on TV. Fox ran a special some time back where the announcer clearly was using a MacBook Pro all during the time he was narrating, and that particular show ran for an hour.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
First, I like Van said, have seen many brands with a cover over the logo. Dell for one besides Apple.

Second, I have seen probably more Apple products in movies than any other brand. The Net with Sandra Bullock is all Macs. Hackers is mostly Apple. I can go on all night. One more I love, Anti Trust is clearly using some apple. the interface and one notebook in the garage.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
L2012 Mini, i7 2.6Ghz, 8GB RAM, 256GB SSD + 1TB HDD(fusion), BenQ 32" 2.5k QHD Display
Let's not forget "Scottie" talking to a Macintosh computer in one the older Star Trek movies some years ago. ....
LOL my favorite movie of all time...

Scotty: Computer, hello computer..
Manager: ...you will have to use the keyboard..
Scotty: How quant!

Other best quote ever..

McCoy: So your telling me I have to die before I can discuss life and death with you?!
Spock: You will have to excuse me doctor, I am getting a number of distress calls.
McCoy: I don't doubt it!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.