• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Why does Apple logo get censored on TV?

Reaction score
You may all have noticed this but quite frequently, when someone on TV (e.g. movie, documentary, TV show) uses a Mac, the Apple logo is disguised as something else or is blocked completely. What is the reason for this? I don't see a Mercedes emblem get covered up in a movie.

The only reason I can think of is portraying a negative image of the brand. Although, in all those broadcasts, I did not perceive any negativity towards the brand. Instead, I see more of a compliment towards Apple.

On second thought, every band may have it's terms and conditions. Namely, the use of their logo. Therefore, whether there exist a negative or positive image, it is not allowed, unless authorized from Apple.

Did I answer my own question or is it merely speculation?

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
It's all about product copyright and licensing. This is not specific to Apple either - it happens with all brands.

OP
S
Reaction score
I have noticed I have not yet seen electronic consumer products such as Apple, Samsung or Sony in films.

Then again, doesn't this copyright/licensing principle apply to other things such as car makes in films?

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
Then again, doesn't this copyright/licensing principle apply to other things such as car makes in films?
A brand is a brand.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBookAir5,2:10.13.6-iMac18,3:10.13.6-iPhone9,3:11.4.1
I've wondered this as well. I watch home improvement shows quite a bit. On one low budget show, the designer is using a MacBook with visible logo, on another, the logo is covered by a circular silver sticker. Neither show lists Apple in the credits. I doubt Apple would pay either show to advertise nor would they waste much time suing them. My guesses are:

-the covered logo show is being cautious about getting sued
-the covered logo show is implying "You want logo airtime, pay us."

I'd favor option number two if I had to choose.

OP
S
Reaction score
Yesss....that's a valid point. Apple is the 2nd most profitable company in the world.

On third thought. There are movies out there which cover the Apple logo. Popular movies. Why doesn't the producer just go to Apple and ask for endorsement? It could have easily been done. Anyhow, the end result is the film censoring the Apple logo.

Last edited:

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
No brand is going to sue a show/movie for showcasing their products. That's free advertising, thus people go out of their way to hide the brand. When you see things prominently showcased in the same shows, that's usually product placement..

Focusing in on the emblem of a car, zooming in on the use of a particular feature of a tablet, the Coca Cola glasses prominently shown on a show like American Idol..these are all places where said companies have paid to have their brand prominently advertised. Additionally, you'll also see commercials from these companies during that show as well..

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
I've also seen the opposite extreme, where not only is a product featured visually, the product name is mentioned in the dialog.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yesss....that's a valid point. Apple is the 2nd most profitable company in the world.
You're a few positions off. ;)

On third thought. There are movies out there which cover the Apple logo. Popular movies. Why doesn't the producer just go to Apple and ask for endorsement? It could have easily been done. Anyhow, the end result is the film censoring the Apple logo.
For reasons of integrity? There's something to be said about having people focus on the art form and not the commercial influence.

OP
S
Reaction score
Yeh, you're right. The website that I referred to wasnt accurate

Last edited:

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
For reasons of integrity? There's something to be said about having people focus on the art form and not the commercial influence.

Totally agree, I think it cheapens a brand/product when it is blatantly advertised as part of the show. But at the same time with most of us DVR'ing shows and happily skipping over the commercials, this sort of in-show advertising is inevitable..

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
mac mini late 2012; mac mini early 2014; old mac mini running centos; new macbook air; iPad;iPhone
the vendor ( Apple ) may have declined to provide a payment for product placement. Notice on Elementery how Microsoft Surface is used and Microsoft is also a advertiser on the show. Often you'll see the same issue with automobiles.

In other cases, Apple may have said we don't want to be associated with the production. (the bad guy is using an apple product to hack into the NSA, for example.)

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
I have noticed I have not yet seen electronic consumer products such as Apple...

Either you haven't been watching the "right" things…or you're falling asleep during the "Apple" moments. Here are some example's:

The 14 Most Remarkable Apple Product Placements - The Awl
DailyTech - Apple Gets Free Product Placement in TV Shows, Movies
Apple Product Placements In TV And Movies - Business Insider
Apple, the Other Cult in Hollywood - Businessweek
Apple Product Placement: They
Apple products appeared in 30% of all top movies in 2010

In the 2nd link…the article mentions that "Apple devices have made 891 appearances in TV shows in 2011, which is an increase from 613 appearances in 2009."

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mbp 13" Retina , i5 Haswell , Intel Iris , 8gb Ram , 256 Ssd , OS X 10.9.3
I noticed this first when Ashton Kutcher joined Two and a Half Men , all the Apple logos on his computers were blanked off , although it was obvious what he was using . As stated before this didn't stop the same program from advertising Mercedes , Porsche etc . Wonder where the line is drawn?

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Wonder where the line is drawn?

Two things:

- Money
Where is the "line drawn"…it's called MONEY!;) These spots are called "product placements". Companies PAY to have their products featured in TV shows, movies, etc.

Companies are also contacted by the producers of TV shows/movies if it's ok to show the company logos/products. If companies say "yes" then the logo is visible. If the company says "no"…then the logo is "fuzzed or blurred" out.

It's also about legality. If a show/movie display's a company logo without permission…then that company (some companies) can or will sue for illegal use of their logo.

Companies have images/reputations they like to cultivate/maintain. If company logos/products appear in entertainment (TV/movies) that don't portray their products/logos in the way they wish…they feel that the companies image/products can be harmed.

So it really comes down to:

- company says YES = logo visible
- company says NO = logo blurred/fuzzed/covered up

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Point taken , but surely the company would be better placed to use someone willing to pay rather than use Apple who obviously aren't . I'm sure Alienware , HP , Samsung etc would jump at the chance .

** anyone from the above named companies willing to offer any products in gratification to the international advert i just placed for their name please get in touch via these forums **

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Point taken , but surely the company would be better placed to use someone willing to pay rather than use Apple who obviously aren't . I'm sure Alienware , HP , Samsung etc would jump at the chance .

Different companies have differing strategies on how they want their products/logo's "visualized" by the public/potential customers:

- radio
- newspaper/magazine
- internet
- "big screen" entertainment (movie theaters)
- "little screen" entertainment (television
- etc.

I don't think either you or I have any "clue" if Alienware , HP , Samsung etc "would jump at the chance".;) Those "chances" are EXPENSIVE. And some companies don't have the budget for these sorts of things.

Companies advertising budgets get spread pretty thin over the course of a year. Spending BIG BUCKS on just 1 or two opportunities can really drain the advertising for the rest of the year. Advertising is about keeping your companies products and logo "fresh" in the mind of consumers throughout the year. If you spend 50% of your advertising budget in January...then you don't have much left for the rest of the year.

Of course for certain products that are very seasonal or date specific...then companies will "dump" most of their advertising budget in a short time. Such as Valentines Day, Easter, Christmas, etc.

Not many folks want to purchase swimming pools or lawnmowers in the Winter...or snow ski's or snow blowers in the Summer.;)

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBookAir5,2:10.13.6-iMac18,3:10.13.6-iPhone9,3:11.4.1
I seem to recall Abercrombie & Fitch offering to pay the Jersey Shore TV show to NOT wear their stuff. Can't imagine why though...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Wasn't really serious about the named companies , was only posting an opinion for jollies . But thanks for taking the time to offer such an insight

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
Its funny, we even have a Thread in the Forums, something like "Where have you seen a Apple Mac Computer" but its long dead. . . .

I see it all the time, on the BIG shows. The not so '$ thrown into them shows' usually don't worry about covering them up, but TBBT comes to mind, and Raj on The Big Bang Theory has his half covered over a old 17" MBP, I'm thinking 2008/9 circa, but since Sheldon got rid of his Alien Laptop, after Howard went all man shin on his sofa and had his Laptop covering him, he now has a rMBP but has the Red Casing on it. You can see the Logo, but its the Backlit keyboard and black border around he screen that gives it away.

Its all down to Money and you have to think, one of the characters, might have a Sponsorship Deal with another company and hence can't be seen with a competitors . . .

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.