magsafe cord frayed issue

Reaction score
LOVE my mac book pro, switched about 2 years ago and havent looked back! no apple care warranty coverage anymore and my magsafe cord (L shaped, 85 watt) for my 2012 mbp is frayed terribly at the magsafe connector end. if I replace is there still a warranty / reimbursement program where Apple refunds some of the replacement costs?

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
if I replace is there still a warranty / reimbursement program where Apple refunds some of the replacement costs?

Not than I'm aware of. Just got to be as careful as you can with the MagSafe. Not allowing the cord area near the "brick" or near the MagSafe connector to get bent or kinked.

- Nick

OP
T
Reaction score
Not than I'm aware of. Just got to be as careful as you can with the MagSafe. Not allowing the cord area near the "brick" or near the MagSafe connector to get bent or kinked.

- Nick

Thanks, Nick. Noted. and its still just my favorite machine of all times and I've been writing code for years... the thought of pulling out my still new pc laptop I got a week before buying this just makes me sick to my stomach. ordering now from amazon and should be here tomorrow thanks to amazon prime. seller is apple so not taking risks with 3rd party knock off adapters. thanks again.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
I love Apple products as well. But the MagSafe power adapters are VERY poorly designed…and not nearly as durable as the power adapters found with Windows laptops.

The Magsafe connector is very "nifty"…but the two areas I mentioned in my last post are VERY prone to damage. Whenever I travel/mobile with my MacBook Pro…I am very very careful with the cord.

Good luck,:)

- Nick

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
I've had to replace all of my magsafe cables at least once a year - no matter what - or which - since my first Mac.

My wife has never had to replace one - but hers sits in a single spot and is basically never unplugged

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.