External mic not working?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Hi; I am a pianist and find it easy to record my home performances with my iPhone’s camera, in order to keep track of how I am sounding. Obviously though I’ve had to go down the route of attempting to use an external mic to record the sound, even though the video is fine- the amount to which the recorded audio on the iphones default mic is compressed is unacceptable when I’m trying to scrutinize my playing dynamics. The problem is, I can’t get the setup to work. I’ve purchased an XLR to minijack cable, to connect the mic’s output to the converter cable (here’s the exact one I bought: . I’ve purchased a minijack to IOS audio converter cable. I’ve tried plugging my mic in, turned airplane mode off and everything, and there’s still no difference when I try to toggle between default mic and external- the audio is still being recorded from the iPhone itself. I only have dynamic microphones; could this be the problem? Do I need a specific type of microphone if I want to perform this function? That’s literally the only potential problem I can think of; if that’s not it, I’m completely at a loss, as I’ve spent an annoying amount of money on different adapter leads now to absolutely no avail. If someone could tell me where I’m going wrong I would really, really appreciate it.

Some further info:

Iphone model: 4s

XLR – Minijack cable used: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/XLR-3-Pin-Female-Socket-to-3-5mm-Stereo-Mini-Jack-Plug-Lead-Cable-2m-/221227219421

XLR – Minijack cable used: http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00C3KXJ8K/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Mic used: LD systems d1001 (impedance: 300 ohms; could this be too much?)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.