Desktop experience MAC is horrible: any organizing app?

Reaction score
Hi all,

I am a 6 month iMAC 21 inch user using the latest OS, after years of windows.... I love MAC, its safe, speedy and all but the desktop experience is still hard for me and I use the mac every day now since.

I keep thinking in windows terms I am afraid. I miss a shortcut in the bar to see the desktop itself. I hardly ever see the beautiful background as the apps clutter the view. Finding a specific open window is horrible...

The mission control thing is a big mess. Often I look for one of many open word documents and that one is piled up behind the other ones and I need to click te very edge of it to open it... that is just not working for me. No idea how the thing organizes the windows but they are all over the place. I can't close windows in that view too which would be handy...

I have setup a hot corner to see the desktop and i don't like the view with the windows moved aside. It's not a real desktop view but like holding all your papers up to see your desk again for a second...

The launch pad is a joke. It's completely separate. What's the use?? I don't get it. Same for the 'dashboard' thing. What's that? One big mess... :(

I use bettersnaptool and it improves the experience a bit so maximizing apps happen when double clicking the bar, yes like windows...

Is there any app that does a little organizing? Thanks guys. I know MAC is not Windows but I could use some help here... thanks...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
With Mission Control, 4 Finger Swipe up, you click on the Word Document stack, then once Word is the front most App, you use Exposé with a 4 finger swipe down, and it bring ALL your Documents into view, and from there you just click on the one you want.
It shows you all the Pages you have open, in Icon View, and then lists them as a Thumb Nail underneath.

With OS X, there is always a simple way to do things, you just need to ask the question, to get the answer :)

See image below for what I mean. You can get Exposé under System Preferences>TrackPad>More Gestures and make App Exposé what ever Gesture you want.

SEunBOK.png

As to LaunchPad, that is very handy, as a Hot Corner, because if you don't have a App Launcher like Alfred or QuickSilver, then LaunchPad is just that, a App Launcher, so you don't have to open Finder go to Applications and then find the App you want to double click to open.

Dashboard is another kettle of fish. Its the 1st thing I disable on every OS X I have, because its just a Widget place, and now in Yosemite, we have the option to turn it off and on as we want. Resource hog when the computer grunt is better off else where.

Reaction score
LaunchPad? You should have an Applications folder in your Dock. Click on it. Ta da!! Launcher.
If you don't like the stack, right-click on the folder, view contents as list.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
You can use spotlight as an app launcher (press CMD + Space of click the magnifying glass top-right) or use a third party app like Alfred.

CMD-Option-M will minimize all windows, effectively showing you your desktop

The rest is covered by TMs post above I think

C

chas_m

It sounds to me like the user has stored EVERYTHING on the desktop, which would make for a pretty horrible experience.

Apps should go in the Applications folder; everything else should go in the home folder in the appropriate sub-folder (or a created one). Nothing but the hard drive icon should ideally be on your desktop (other than temporarily).

I have utilized cradom's suggestion and put the Application folder (alias) in the Dock, along with a Home folder alias. Thus I can get to everything I need in one click. I do often use the Spotlight feature in the menubar to launch apps. I find Mission Control occasionally useful but Launchbar is not my cup of tea so I don't use it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Late 2015 iMac 21.5; 3.1 GHz Intel Core i5; 8 GB 1867 MHz DDR3, Mojave.
You can use spotlight as an app launcher (press CMD + Space of click the magnifying glass top-right) or use a third party app like Alfred.

CMD-Option-M will minimize all windows, effectively showing you your desktop

The rest is covered by TMs post above I think

On my 21.5 iMac under Mavericks, CMD-Option-M minimizes all but one window, even though the cheat sheet of shortcuts agrees with you. Care to comment?

TattooedMac: The OP has an iMac. That doesn't have a trackpad for finger work, does it?

Andjustice: Click the "My essay for switchers and newbies" link in post #5. It will help you feel better about things Mac.

Last edited:

Rod

Reaction score
Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
Dashboard is another kettle of fish. Its the 1st thing I disable on every OS X I have, because its just a Widget place, and now in Yosemite, we have the option to turn it off and on as we want. Resource hog when the computer grunt is better off else where.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for that hint TattooedMac I hadn't noticed I could turn it off.:eek:

Rod

Reaction score
Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
I have a hot corner for Mission Control (top right) I find having Desktop 2 available for easy access to stuff covered by other windows in Desktop 1 like all my open Word docs an easy method. Working on a 13 inch MBP real-estate is valuable so I just close what I don't need. Words' Recent Items command can always reopen a doc. If necessary there is always Desktop 3 etc.
Folder aliases on the dock is also I good idea, I too have my Home folder and a Temporary Items Folder where I keep downloaded files, screen shots, receipts etc prior to sorting or trashing. That way my desktop stays free of clutter.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.