How to stop other computers showing as sharing

Reaction score
Hi how do I stop other computers showing up in the finder window on the left hand side. It does not fill me with confidence that my Macbook is very secure. Im running the newest update of OSX.
I have no idea who this tom is. I live in a military barracks and I am connected via an ethernet cable to the internet provider via my own account. I have set my Mac up as a wifi hotspot so i can use my iPad but Tom is still connected when the Wifi is off.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
Don't worry, you're safe and secure!!

Your "Famil..." device is some mounted drive or device on your desktop.

The "tom-pc" is probably someone connected to your network that has sharing turned On that your Mac's 'bonjour' picked up as a possible connectable/sharing device.

To get rid of them, in the Finder -> Preferences (just below it) -> Sidebar tab and uncheck any that you don't want to have showing.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
And you will also find, that you can't connect to them (as long as they have a Admin Password set and vice versa if you have a Admin password they can't connect to you). So as pm-r stated, you are safe, but if you haven't got a Admin Password set on your Mac, set one now, or else they could go through all you files.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
And you will also find, that you can't connect to them (as long as they have a Admin Password set and vice versa if you have a Admin password they can't connect to you). So as pm-r stated, you are safe, but if you haven't got a Admin Password set on your Mac, set one now, or else they could go through all you files.

I'm not sure where the difference lies between any Admin Password and the OS X permissions, but I do know that my iMac cannot be accessed from any other computer on our network other than the Public shared DropBox folder I have set up, and it's drop in only, and I don't have any admin password set.

Just saying... the user is still pretty safe.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.