Mac starts up with black screen

Reaction score
It starts up, i hear the sound and it's completely black. Is it the screen light? I am a musician and I need to use my computer fast, so i will fix it. I also have like no money ha. thanks :p

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Need to know what sort of Mac you have (and the exact model). Firstly…it makes a really big difference if it's a laptop or desktop Mac. You did post in the desktop area…so hopefully it's a desktop.:)

Yeah…and it always helps to have a possibly busted computer…and have no money to fix it!lol;)

- Nick

OP
G
Reaction score
yes it is a desktop. 2008 24'' sorry haha
i swear, i never use this site. hopefully this actually posts.. unless it already did....

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Ok then…we pretty much know what computer we got!:)

Do you have an external display you can use with this iMac? If so…you can plug it into the iMac…and see if you get something on the external display. This helps us to figure out if the problem is with the computers logic board…or the iMac's built-in display.

And just for the heck of it…here's two other things to try…an SMC Reset and an NVRAM/PRAM Reset:

Intel-based Macs: Resetting the System Management Controller (SMC)
About NVRAM and PRAM

- Nick

OP
G
Reaction score
Okay, I don't have any external display lying around, but i could buy one. I can't reset the system management controller because like I said, the screen is nothing but black. I reset the NVRAM/PRAM and I heard the computer shut down and start up again.... Although, the screen remained black....
Also, ha, sorry for not getting to you any sooner. I am so busy.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Okay, I don't have any external display lying around, but i could buy one.

Don't want you to buy something unnecessarily. It was just an idea if you had a monitor to test with.

Also, ha, sorry for not getting to you any sooner. I am so busy.

Hey. Take all the time you want…it's your computer!;) But it does help to respond quickly…since it helps us keep all of the thread details fresh in our minds (we respond to a lot of questions each day).:)

- Nick

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Okay!
What should i do next?

There's not a whole lot more that can be done.

- You did an SMC and PRAM reset.
- You hear the startup chime…so that usually eliminates it being a bad power supply.
- Only other thing to try at this point would be the external monitor idea. But you don't have one. Maybe you can borrow one from someone.

What it really comes down to is either a display issue (bad video cable or the LCD panel itself). Or bad graphics hardware on the logic board.

If you had an external monitor plugged in…and got video on it…then the problem could be internal video cable or display panel related. If no video on the external display…that could be the logic board.

If it's the logic board (which is statistically the more likely issue)…then this computer is a goner. Since it would cost just about as much to repair it as it's worth.

The ideas I suggested are/were probably "long-shots". But worth a try just in case before declaring the computer a basket-case.

- Nick

p.s. One more long shot idea…try starting it up from a bootable OS install DVD.

OP
G
Reaction score
Well. I guess that solves it for the computer! Darn it! Thank you!
I'm a singer, songwriter. You'll most likely hear about my band or just me, Marissa, soon.
I really need garageband.

So, another thing.. ha
I have a grey mac laptop -mac os x version 10.4.11 and the processor, 1.5GHz powerPC G4. It only updated to 10.4.11.. I've tried to download app store, but it iust wont work because it's 10.4.11. Is it possible to get to 10.5.11? Or something similar?

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Well. I guess that solves it for the computer! Darn it! Thank you!

I didn't want to say 100% that your iMac is a goner. But testing with an external display would be a big step in either direction (good or bad). Just need something cheap/inexpensive to test with.

I'm a singer, songwriter. You'll most likely hear about my band or just me, Marissa, soon.

Don't count on it.;) Depends on your genre.:) But if you hit it big...I'm sure many other will hear your stuff!:):)

So, another thing.. ha
I have a grey mac laptop -mac os x version 10.4.11 and the processor, 1.5GHz powerPC G4. It only updated to 10.4.11.. I've tried to download app store, but it iust wont work because it's 10.4.11. Is it possible to get to 10.5.11? Or something similar?

Your older Powerbook G4 I'm pretty sure can be updated to OS 10.5.8. But...to get access (compatability with the Mac App Store)...you need at least Mac OS 10.6.6 (Powerbook G4 cannot run more than 10.5.8).

When you "hit it big"...you'll have a bazillion bucks to get the latest & greatest Mac!!!:) Until then...maybe you can scrape together some bucks to purchase a newer used Mac.:)

Sorry,

- Nick

OP
G
Reaction score
Now this is like the third time typing this because my laptop keeps shutting off lol
When I click on software update, it says the software is up to date...
how am i suppose to update to 10.5.8?
btw, maybe I shouldn't have mentioned anything about music. I'm actually in a groove right now practicing. haha. you'd like our music! gypsy tears the band! heh! If you like piano, singing, guitar, drums, synth, etc.
We do a lot of genres. Music will be posted very soon once i get garageband.... and a mic hahaha. sounds fake, eh? ANYWAYS... :)

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
When I click on software update, it says the software is up to date...
how am i suppose to update to 10.5.8?

Yes...your Powerbook G4's software is up to date as far as OS 10.4 (Tiger) is concerned. OS 10.5 (Leopard) is not a free update...you need to purchase an OS 10.5 install disk. Which (at least in the US) will cost approx. $80 (maybe more/maybe less)...via eBay.

Spending this sort of cash may or may not be worth it...depending what you need to do on your Powerbook G4.

- Nick

OP
G
Reaction score
Wait, nvm. Forget what i just said about the software update. I have paralysis and it is just making me really forgetful and ya, ha.
thank you for all your help

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.