Quicktime help

Reaction score
How do I set set Quicktime as my default dvd player. Just updated to Mavericks, and tried to play a dvd. The dvd is mounted on the desktop, but I can't play it. Thank you for the help.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
What kind of a DVD? Music DVDs should default to iTunes while movies should be played by the "DVD Player.app". You can download the free VLC and use it instead.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
What kind of DVD is it??

And Quicktime is often restricted as to what it can play, and maybe DVD Player may be a better choice. It can also depend on what version(s) of Quicktime you have installed.

DVD Player is the default setting in the CD & DVD Preferences Pane for playing video DVDs.

But maybe it isn't a video DVD...???? :D

EDIT: Sorry chscag, but your post wasn't showing when I was replying.

OP
A
Reaction score
Prior to updating to Mavericks, any dvd, (This particular one was a concert dvd), opened up automatically to the title/menu screen. I have old dv clips that would also open. Now the old clips are being converted, to what format, I don't know, and the resulting footage is very pixelated. Thank you.

OP
A
Reaction score
And initially, Quicktime would open from the Applications folder, and it wasn't, nor still, located in Launchpad.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Hopefully some QT and DVD gurus will come to the rescue here as I just tried some commercial DVDs with Mavericks that used to work properly with Snow Leopard 10.6.8. Mavericks is a mess.

Even some .mpg video clips in my iTunes won't work properly, and when they do, theory are somewhat blurry.

Do you have both QuickTime Player.app v. 10.3 in your Applications folder and possibly QuickTime Player 7.app v. 7.6.6 in your Utilities folder. I find QuickTime Player 7.app works better.

But things are crazy now, and clicking on a video clip in iTunes comes up with "This movie requires QuickTime, which is not supported by this version of iTunes." and clicking OK, the video starts to play in iTunes. *** is that all about???

On a commercial HD DVD, iDVD opens and I get the control bar, but hardly anything works: clicking 'Menu' flashes a Not Permitted sign, the Pause doesn't work along with many other controls. Again *** Apple??

Everything seems to work as expected using Snow Leopard and FWIW, I never use Launchpad.

I'll need to do some more checking with my own Mavericks setup, but again I'm not impressed.

What do you see in the DVD just using the Finder?

OP
A
Reaction score
The dvd is not recognized by Quicktime, so I cannot play it using the File menu. I tried Quicktime 7, thinking that may work, but the same issues occur. Using Finder just gives me the audio and video files. You're right, this is a mess, but I could not find anything online indicating it's a widespread issue, so just figured it was me or my computer. Thank you for the help.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
We really still don't know exactly what kind of DVD you're having trouble with and Quicktime may not be the solution for you.

But regardless a Google search on 'mac Mavericks DVD won't play' sure brings up a lot of hits for those with a similar problem you may want to check out.

For some reason, many "solutions" said an SMC reset was needed which seems a bit odd to me but you can try and see if it fixes the problem.

Intel-based Macs: Resetting the System Management Controller (SMC)

C

chas_m

As suggested in post #2, why are you not using DVD Player as the default? This is the program that is supposed to be used to play DVDs, always has been.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.