Desktop publishing for mac

Reaction score
Can anyone recommend a programme for DTP for a Mac?
I use Open Office but do have pages, is pages any better?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
I guess this largely depends on what you want to do exactly. If you want to do something like a newsletter with columns and graphics interspersed throughout, Pages does have pre-defined templates to get you started, but a piece of software dedicated to desktop publishing may be more robust if you need a lot of versatility. Swift Publisher is inexpensive and gets good reviews.
Download Swift Publisher for Mac - Versatile desktop publishing app with 180 templates. MacUpdate.com

QuarkXPress is not cheap and is targeted more at professionals.
Download QuarkXPress for Mac - Desktop publishing solution; demo available. MacUpdate.com

OP
S
Reaction score
I guess this largely depends on what you want to do exactly. If you want to do something like a newsletter with columns and graphics interspersed throughout, Pages does have pre-defined templates to get you started, but a piece of software dedicated to desktop publishing may be more robust if you need a lot of versatility. Swift Publisher is inexpensive and gets good reviews.
Download Swift Publisher for Mac - Versatile desktop publishing app with 180 templates. MacUpdate.com

QuarkXPress is not cheap and is targeted more at professionals.
Download QuarkXPress for Mac - Desktop publishing solution; demo available. MacUpdate.com

Thank you. I want to do a newsletter with photos. I find that even use Open Office and insert a picture in to a table, it sometimes moves. Must try with Pages.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP17 8GB/1.9TB 2xSSDs Sierra • MBA11 4/128GB • TC 2TB • TV3 • iPh6 128GB • iPadPro12
I find that even use Open Office and insert a picture in to a table, it sometimes moves.

What is your delivery mode for the newsletter?

This will determine the output format, although it is hard to imagine it'll be anything, but PDF, the only question is whether it is print-ready, or online distribution?

The latter will be perfectly served by OpenOffice built-in PDF engine, the former might require something a bit more sophisticated, if you have to deal with bleeds, crops, trims, layers, etc, etc ...

To prevent anything shifting in your newsletter, that is if you're simply sending it to your subscribers via email, or making it available through other online distribution means, just use OO own, excellent PDF creator: click File, then select this:

ScreenShot2014-06-14at165010_zps53b37574.png~original

If, on the other hand, you're sending this to commercial printers, particularly for a 'proper' offset printing, then much will depend on their setup and requirements - let me know if that's the case, I'll be able to guide you through the process ;D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
late 2012 mini w/SSD
You might want to try Scribus - open source project, been around for a decade.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I have one more program to recommend: "iStudio Publisher" which you can find in the Mac App Store for $17.99. Very similar to MS Publisher which has been a Windows favorite for many years.

Also, I would stay away from "Swift Publisher" as it's difficult to use and understand. I own a copy and very quickly put it on the shelf. I also own a copy of Pages, however, I don't use it for layout work so can not comment on how well it does it. But if you have a new Mac, then Pages may be your best choice since it's free.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2012 Mini i5, 2.5GHz, 8GB & 2011 Mini i5, 2.3GHz, 8GB both with 20" Apple Cinema Displays
''QuarkXPress is not cheap and is targeted more at professionals''

Do people still use Quark!? Depending on your budget/job complexity you could also consider InDesign.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Air M2 ('22) OS 14.3; M3 iMac ('23) OS 14.3; iPad Pro; iPhone 14
I have one more program to recommend: "iStudio Publisher" which you can find in the Mac App Store for $17.99. Very similar to MS Publisher which has been a Windows favorite for many years.............

1+ - wife is on our iMac and does some basic DTP and a former user of MS Publisher, iStudio Publisher seems to be an excellent replacement for her, and at a good price. Dave :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.