Straight To Swift or Objective C

Reaction score
Hi, i've been building websites for the last 12 years, mainly front end html and css, with a small bit of backend php and mysql.

I am now hoping to dive into the world of App Development and i have a few questions which i hope someone can help me with please:

01 - Should i go straight to learning Swift or should i start with Objective C
02 - Do you have to have Xcode 6 to use Swift
03 - Can i download Xcode 6 or do i have to wait until it is officially released
04 - Can anyone recommend a good source / book for learning Swift
05 - Any other advice about starting off in iOS development would be greatly appreciated, especially considering i am coming from more of a front end background

Thanks in advance for you help.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
1. If you're going to use tools native to iOS and don't use a cross-platform solution, you might as well start learning Swift.
2. Yes, Swift is only available for XCode 6.
3. You can get XCode 6 if you're a registered developer.
4. Apple has released an iBook detailing the language. See here.
5. Are you only interested in iOS development? Regardless, there are a whole host of languages and frameworks you can use. Since you have extensive web development experience, you might be interested in PhoneGap which lets you write apps for a whole host of mobile platforms using HTML, CSS and JavaScript.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.