Need Mice Advice

P

PFerrara

Hey all,

First off, I have a MBP on order and am patiently waiting, but I need to get a new mouse. I currently have a logitech mx700, almost 2 years old, and its beginning to show age (buttons not working, accuracy not as great, etc etc).

So of course I'm in the market for a new mouse. What I'm looking for is something with great accuracy, not wireless, and thumb buttons (you have no idea how much I use these :) ). My initial thoughts were for the new logitech g5, but how well does it work with Macs? Is there better?

I'd like your thoughts.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.6GHz Core i7 15" MacBook Pro - 8GB DDR3 SDRAM - 750GB 7200 RPM HDD - GeForce 650M GT 1GB VRAM
PFerrara said:
Hey all,

First off, I have a MBP on order and am patiently waiting, but I need to get a new mouse. I currently have a logitech mx700, almost 2 years old, and its beginning to show age (buttons not working, accuracy not as great, etc etc).

So of course I'm in the market for a new mouse. What I'm looking for is something with great accuracy, not wireless, and thumb buttons (you have no idea how much I use these :) ). My initial thoughts were for the new logitech g5, but how well does it work with Macs? Is there better?

I'd like your thoughts.

I'd go for a Logitech MX510 were I in your position. I use an MX518, which I found out after getting it had no Mac drivers. Luckily, USB Overdrive will tame any mouse to work exactly as I see fit. :)

OP
A

airline1

The Logitech MX610 got a best buy thumbs up in this months MacFormat (UK).
It is Laser as opposed to optical and has more buttons than you can shake a dirty stick at.

OP
P

PFerrara

airline1 said:
The Logitech MX610 got a best buy thumbs up in this months MacFormat (UK).
It is Laser as opposed to optical and has more buttons than you can shake a dirty stick at.

yeh, i was looking at the laser tracking, but I wanted wired over wireless (ive had too many problems with wireless unfortunately). thats why the g5 stands out so much. little pricey (~$55), but I think its worth it in the long run

any other thoughts?

OP
A

airline1

One thing to bear in mind is, logitech does not provide Mac software for the laser mouse. So although you will be able to use the basic functions, you will not have any support for the extra buttons.

I have still bought one off ebay, but thats more to do with the fact they are so comfortable to work with, fit your hand just right. (as long as your not left handed !!)

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Won't USB Overdrive take care of that?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.6GHz Core i7 15" MacBook Pro - 8GB DDR3 SDRAM - 750GB 7200 RPM HDD - GeForce 650M GT 1GB VRAM
dtravis7 said:
Won't USB Overdrive take care of that?
Yes. Yes it will. And it's glorious. Now if only I could find a way to get USB Overdrive to stop giving me the little pop up window upon starting up my system without actually buying the registration key. :)

OP
I

iRizzo

Why not get an Apple mouse. Like the ones that come with the iMacs. Those seem really nice.

OP
R

rvr2k3

iRizzo said:
Why not get an Apple mouse. Like the ones that come with the iMacs. Those seem really nice.

I am using the MX510 and it gets the job done. I just bought the G7 for my gaming PC and that is like butter. I ended up ordering a MX610 for the MacBook Pro, so I have wireless freedom.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 17" i7 Unibody, HK Speakers and a Wacom A5 Wide tablet
I have the Mighty Mouse and find using it with apps like After Effects and Illustrator really accurate and so easy so pan and scroll with the mini scroll ball. I have had no problems with the side buttons with accidently activation. It's a recommended mouse.
But not if you right handed and have an iBook as the lead for the mouse is to short to reach the usb.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro with 1GB ram
randomfactor said:
But not if you right handed and have an iBook as the lead for the mouse is to short to reach the usb.

Sorry to hi-jack but are they okay if your right handed and have a MBP?
Cheers
Andy

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 17" i7 Unibody, HK Speakers and a Wacom A5 Wide tablet
Going2fast said:
Sorry to hi-jack but are they okay if your right handed and have a MBP?
Cheers
Andy

Yeah its fine, as have one myself and use a Powerbook and the USB are in the same place as they are on the MBP.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Custom PC
I bought the MS Starck mouse, it suits the PB/MB well, since it's silver. It has 2 buttons and a scroll wheel. I paid $15 CDN for it too. It's optical and it has this cool blue or orange stripe down the middle that lights up.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.