HP all in one won't scan

Reaction score
I had a similar issue with an HP Laserjet Pro 1417

With the scanning not functioning, I had a Canon multifunction that always was having issues with drivers and finally gave up the ghost after 5 years so I learned this process well.

My resolution for the HP (same as the Canon) was to go thru and manually remove "all remnants" of prior HP drivers (for your model) and software from my desktop (circa snow leopard) then resetting the printing system (right click in the printer display window and the option will be present). Followed by a reboot. Followed by installing the new printer software without adding the printer. Followed by a reboot. Followed by adding the printer (in my case it initially shows as "printer" and if I wait a couple minutes the description changes to "multifunction" at which point it's added and specifically choose the HP drivers for your model instead of "airprint" if you are using wireless.

I don't particularly understand why the reboots are necessary, but back with Lion when I was having huge issues with connecting to the printer I was told that the reboot does some refreshing in the background so a problem driver set requires you to clear everything out and reboot so the system realizes there is no printer or drivers installed. Then adding the drivers to the system and reboot so that all parts of the OS realize the drivers are present so that when you go to add the device it recognizes no only that it's a printer, but also a multifunction device and moves the scanning components into place.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Imac 27"12.2.1 Monterey.1phone 13, iwatch,ipad air
Actually, I gave it to my young niece who has a G4 laptop--works fine for her, and she can use it for school stuff. I've ordered a canon all in one which it promises will run on mountain lion.

Thanks,

Skillet01

My cannon worked fine until I installed Maverick- now I get the same message on my scanner you do.

OP
S
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20-inch early 2009 iMac, 2.66GHz, 8 GB, 10.8.5, 319 GB Hard Drive
I've heard about so many problems with Maverick that I'm going to avoid going to it as long as I can, never if that's possible. This canon I just got (PIXMAMG2520) works fine with Mountain Lion, scans, copies, prints as it should. (I must knock on wood when I make such a statement. Tomorrow could be a different scene...)

skillet01

Reaction score
HP Printer/Mac problems

Skitt01,

I have exactly the same apprehensive attitude about Mavericks having had exactly the same problems with HP. How is the wifi with your new Canon, and is it easy to set up?

Paul

OP
S
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20-inch early 2009 iMac, 2.66GHz, 8 GB, 10.8.5, 319 GB Hard Drive
I can't help you with the wifi. At home I use only my iMac beside which the printer sits. So I just used the usb connection.

And btw, I was reading reviews of this canon printer, and most of the negatives were that there was no usb cable provided. Now...I've bought several printers of various brands, as each became not compatible with an upgraded system, and never did I find a usb cable in the box with the printer. In fact, they tell you that no cable is provided. So if you are going to plan on using a usb connection, you need to have a cable on hand.

skillet01

Reaction score
I have a HP 6200 all in one, which I installed on this computer when it was running leopard. (processor 2.66, memory 8 gigs) I up graded to mountain lion, and now my printer won't scan. It will still print and copy fine. but when I hit Scan I get this message (on the computer window) that says:No Scan Options You need to run or install printer software. I went into the HP folder and clicked on HP Scan Pro, and got this message: "Sorry, scanner could not be utilized (scanner not found)" I do have the original software, which I could reinstall. Is that what is in order here? Or is this printer just not going to work with Mountain Lion.

Thanks for any insight.

Skillet01
The advice you have is what I would suggest. I have installed an HP4000 series scanner and an Espon 200 series and both times I had to dump the driver and reload it.
My wife's new ASUS gave me the same fit with the Epson. Be sure to load all of the software not just the printer side.

Reaction score
HP scanner

@Skillet, I had the same issue with my Canon scanners after upgrade of the OS . This is what solved it: download the latest scanner driver, (re)install it, make sure it starts when starting the machine and thus is always loaded.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro5.1,Dual2.4GHzXeon,10.13.6,4x6TB HD,128GB Mem,Dual 32" monitors
Guys, I have to say . . . I have a HP OfficeJet Pro 8500 a910 running with mavericks as the OS, The 8500 has been connected with USB and wireless which it is wireless now. I have it set up as a 'NETWORK' printer and my wife sends stuff to it from her laptop all the time. Never have I had an issue with Mavericks, it was a seamless upgrade from Mountain Lion. Just sayin'

Reaction score
HP Printer won't scan

I had that problem also with my HP 7400. I can't scan with the button on the printer, but I found out I can scan with it through my PC - imac. through Preview.

You open Preview and select import from printer. Then select your printer in the list. Then select scan.

Reaction score
It's HP's way of telling you to buy a new scanner

I solved all my scanning problems with VueScan which seems to support almost every scanner ever made.

Me too, it is just a pity that you cannot scan over a LAN.

I like VueScan so much I paid for it - but there are free downloads of older versions on a German PC website

VueScan Download Versionsarchiv - PC Magazin

Go back far enough and the watermark disappears.

I am now very wary of downloading HP software updates. Maverick crippled scanning on my Mac and a recent HP "upgrade" removed network scanning functionality from my backup XP machine. If HP thinks this will make me buy another one of their machines they must be loosing the plot.

Reaction score
Northern Minnesota now. Chicago previously
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro (2010) 2x2.4 GHz Quad-Core Xeon, 12GB, ATI Radeon HD 5870, Wacom Cintiq 24HD touchscreen
Actually, I gave it to my young niece
The best solution for any problem. Give it away! ;-)

Reaction score
When I get a CD with a printer. I immediately throw it away (recycle it). The software on the CD was the original software that was made for the first rev. of the printer which is most likely completely out of date. The driver in the OS it more likely up to date. But, it may lack some needed tools that came on the CD. The best is to check out the printer manufacture's website and down load the latest driver (If recommended by the manufacture) otherwise use the driver that comes with the OS.

Reaction score
HP Scan Pro should work too. Make sure you've deleted any old drivers by clicking the minus - from the Printers & Sanners in System Preference. Don't worry if you delete a new driver its easy to re-add it by clicking the +. With the latests drivers sometimes the button issues are fixed. Make sure you only go with LAN or USB. Some times having both connected and drivers installed for each can cause button problems. I've been able to get buttons working on most of my LAN printers.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
In sig
HP printers are so cheap they suck, that explains it.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I just last week returned a HP LaserJet wireless model to Staples because I could never get Mavericks to recognize the printer via wireless. (USB connection was no problem.) The strange thing is the printer picked up my network, SSID, WPA2, and its wireless green light came on but that's as far as it would go. HP instructions were useless. What a piece of junk. I have an older HP wired LaserJet that's close to 10 years old and it's still going strong even with Mavericks.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.