Disk Drive works for CDs but not for DVDs

Reaction score
Using an iMac with disk drive the drive works for CDs but has recently stopped working for DVDs. I'm using OS X 10.9.3. Since it works for CDs my feeling is that there is a "switch" someplace that that got flipped somehow. Any help will be greatly appreciated

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Are we talking commercially purchased DVD's (such as movies)...or homemade/"burned" DVD's?

If commercial DVD's. Where are you located (in the world)...and where (in the world) were they purchased?

- Nick

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Using an iMac with disk drive the drive works for CDs but has recently stopped working for DVDs. I'm using OS X 10.9.3. Since it works for CDs my feeling is that there is a "switch" someplace that that got flipped somehow. Any help will be greatly appreciated

To add to what Nick replied: The laser power levels for reading and writing a disk are different for a CD than they are for a DVD. Which means it may be able to read a CD but not a DVD. Sometimes that can be attributed to a dirty lens (try cleaning with compressed air) and other times it can mean the drive has to be replaced. Try cleaning it first. And by the way, there is no "switch" that somehow got flipped.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
If it has stopped working for DVDs and did, the optical drive may well be on the way out. DVDs are much more an 'intensive' read than CDs which is why they go first. iMacs, like MacBooks, alas have a slot loading optical drive which is much more prone to failure than a tray loader in other desktops.

Suggest purchasing a cheap external. I use a Samsung SE-208 no problems at all with my iMac. It has dual USB connectors and is bus powered so mains not required.

Reaction score
I ran into this when I tried to upgrade my Mini to Leopard several years ago. The slot drive would accept a CD but would spit a DVD out. After research it seems that particular optical drive was noted for failing with that being the first indication of it. My solutions was what has been suggested, purchase an inexpensive external drive.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.