I'm a klutz!

Reaction score
I accidently spilt lemonade on my Macbook Air keyboard. As it is part of a student-school program I cannot fix it or pay for someone not advised by the school to fix it. When I tipped over my glass, it spilt over the lower half of my keyboard. I immediately turned it off and tipped it upside down, before patting it down with paper towel. Even though the battery or inner hardware of my laptop are still working, some of the keys are sticky when I press down on them (space bar, N, V, F, G and H). The keys are backlit and I'm not sure the school warranty covers spills. Is there any way I can fix this safely? Any help is massively appreciated. Thanks.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 15" 2014, 2.2GHz i7, 16GB RAM, 250GB SSD, OSX 10.9.5 - iPhone 5s 16gb
This seems to be a bit of a grey area to advise on if it's part of a school program. Anything I can suggest means opening up the laptop and getting a good clean of it done, but if that voids the warranty it's probably best to go to whoever is in charge of the program and explaining the situation..

Wish you the best with it

- Simon

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
Given that this is part of a school program I think Simon is spot on. Even if it were your personal computer liquid spills, particularly sticky liquids, tend to lead to problems later. It's difficult to remove the results of the spill without there being some damage to the logic board

Last edited:
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2018 15" MBP, 2019 11" iPad Pro, iPhone 11 Pro
1. Build a time machine
2. Go back in time to before you spilled your drink
3. Never have open containers near electronics!

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
You really ought to start backing up your data now as well in case that juice starts to wreak havoc on your machine. Not only did you spill juice (which is sugary) but it was a lemon based juice which I also imagine is more acidic than most. I'm willing to bet that more damage is coming. The answer here is simple - back everything up right now and bring it in to the school.

OP
K
Reaction score
I looked at a couple of YouTube videos on how to remove the keys without breaking the mechanism and did it very carefully before cleaning away the sticky residue. The keys work much better now and I haven't had any other problems.

Thanks a lot for all the advice guys. I really appreciate it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Hold your horses.

Sometimes problems do not appear for a week or longer. The sugar takes time to react with the logic board and cause corrosion. Fingers crossed.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.