macbook air 13" vs macbook 15" (retina) for med school

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
| MBP 15", Late '13 | 2.0 GHz Intel Core i7 | 8GB, IIP 1536 MB | OS El Capitan 10.11.2 |
I'm looking to buy a new macbook before I start school in the fall. I read a few of the threads, but I was wondering if there were any students that were making a similar decision could maybe help me sort out this matter.

MBA 13": Cheaper, more portable, and will probably be more than sufficient.
MBP 15" w/ retina: More screen real estate, nicer screen, and leaves more room to grow into (photo editing, video editing, gaming, running expensive software, etc....)

I like the idea of having the 15", because I feel like it is more "future proof." I also feel like the 15" will allow me to be a little more productive just due to the screen real estate. Again, the 13" is probably more than sufficient and I can probably buy an external monitor although I don't plan on being in my room all that much.

Thanks

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Honestly…the biggest difference between these two computers listed is the display size (13" vs. 15"). There probably are some other differences as well…but would need to know the exact two units you are talking about.

Unless you NEED a 15" display while being mobile…the best of both worlds is the 13" notebook when mobile…then attach a much larger external display when at home.

- Nick

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.