ibook sometimes charges and sometimes not

I

ihack4u

On my ibook recently has come charging issues. Sometimes it would attempt to charge. Like when I plug my power connector the battery light turns on and it tries to recharge for like 10 minutes. Then it would stop. Last night I opened the back and took out the screws on the battery port and put it back it charged fine. But then this morning I had the same problem again. Also when i shake it a little sometimes, the ibook turns off when the power is being supplied by battery. Sometimes on osx, when I'm running off the battery it would run but in the battery indicator it would say no battery found. Anyone know the problem?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 8x3.0ghz 12gb ram 8800GT , MBP 2.16 2GB Ram 17 inch.
Sounds like the battery is not making a good connection... try to clean the contacts with compressed air or a q-tip with a tiny amount of electronic cleaner on it.. it the problem persist then there could be a problem with the battery call apple or if you don't have apple care on it any more, then you will have to purchase a new battery.

OP
I

ihack4u

well i tried it with another battery and the same problem occured? I don't know if this problem is related to the battery problem but when I startup for a couple of seconds the hard drive folder with a question mark appears, then disappears and continues to load osx. I treid resetting the pram but that didnt do anything. I think there is a loose connection between the battery and battery pins on the motherboard.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
It could also be an entire logic board problem not just pins associated with the battery due to the fact that it has to spend the time to look for the hard drive when booting aswell. When did you purchase this system. there is known logic board problems with ibooks.

OP
I

ihack4u

this is the old g3 ibook 500 mhz dual usb. It was a long time back. I would say back in 2000 or 2001.

OP
I

ihack4u

i dont think its the logic problem, because when it take the back cover off and put the battery in it charges just fine. When it put the back cover back on it tries to charge and stops after a while.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
i am unfamillar with your model of ibook what back cover are you referring to?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.