Creating App-iness

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPad2, iPhone5
Is it possible to write an app and install it on my own iPhone5?

I don't want to sell it or anything just use it for my own purposes.

Cheers.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
Note that you have to be a registered developer to do this. There's no way to do this without shelling out the cash for a membership in the program (...for some reason).

OP
Perranoak
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPad2, iPhone5
Gulp!

Costly is it?

#####################

I just looked, $99 per year.

To develop on iOS must I use a Mac or can it all be done from the old iPad?

Last edited:

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
Traditionally all development is done on an Intel-based Mac. However, Codea does allow using an iPad for development, you might want to read more here.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
Unless you create a web application, you do have to pay Apple $99/yr for the privilege of installing apps on your own device. Yes, that's absolutely ridiculous (I agree - I'd love to put some of my own stuff on only my iPad as well without paying $99/year) but it's the only way unless you jailbreak and do some other fancy stuff.

You can certainly develop on a Windows box. PhoneGap/Cordova and Flex are two frameworks that jump out at me at the moment (both of which allow you to build Android apps at the same time; PhoneGap let's you do Windows Phone as well).

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
Traditionally all development is done on an Intel-based Mac. However, Codea does allow using an iPad for development, you might want to read more here.

I had a look at Codea, and downloaded the App, and then went and looked at the App the Codea Devs built, and if Cargo Bot is the best they can come up with, I will continue to screw through through with Obj-C and now Swift. . . . But to Develop and test on a iPad is pretty cool in itself though :)

C

chas_m

For what you get for your $99, I'd have called it a steal at twice the price. Yes, even for private development (I mean, if you could avoid having to write your own app to do whatever it is you have to do that no existing app covers, surely that's worth $99 in your time alone ...)

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
For what you get for your $99, I'd have called it a steal at twice the price. Yes, even for private development (I mean, if you could avoid having to write your own app to do whatever it is you have to do that no existing app covers, surely that's worth $99 in your time alone ...)
How do you figure? Developing for Android and Windows Phone costs nothing so I fail to see why developing for iOS at $99/yr is a "steal."

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
How do you figure? Developing for Android and Windows Phone costs nothing so I fail to see why developing for iOS at $99/yr is a "steal."

It is a "steal", for the recipients of the $99. ;P

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs

Im not sure how Android and Windows Developers work, but do they get the same support that Apple gives its Dev's ie: 2 Support tickets directly to Apple™ Developing team ? Do they get the same support when it comes to the App Stores ?
From what I have read, from others Developers, Apple has a more Streamlined road From Development to App Store. They have a lot more help from Apple when it comes to Technical Issues, and Documentation, and some have said that would of paid $200 for what they get compared to the 'others' . . . Im just wondering if this is correct or not ??

C

chas_m

Somebody might actually buy your app if you develop it for iOS.

(sorry but you left yourself wide open for that one) :)

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Im not sure how Android and Windows Developers work, but do they get the same support that Apple gives its Dev's ie: 2 Support tickets directly to Apple™ Developing team ? Do they get the same support when it comes to the App Stores ?
I can't say how many tickets you get since I've never had issues (unlike with the App Store which is a world of hurt sometimes - I've had weird approval issues, they lost my tax info once when I submitted it so I could sell apps, etc.) but you can contact them (here). It's very possible that Apple's communication channel is significantly more streamlined.

From what I have read, from others Developers, Apple has a more Streamlined road From Development to App Store.
You did read my article right? ;)

They have a lot more help from Apple when it comes to Technical Issues, and Documentation, and some have said that would of paid $200 for what they get compared to the 'others' . . . Im just wondering if this is correct or not ??
I don't know how they compare but the documentation for Android development is wide open and looks to be fairly comprehensive (here).

Somebody might actually buy your app if you develop it for iOS.
I assume that this is a delay tactic until you provide a real reason right (especially since you said that it was a steal even for private development, a context in which I'm not selling apps)? Remember, we're talking about private development here.

(sorry but you left yourself wide open for that one) :)
You make it sound like you have an objectively right and obvious answer (despite no argumentation and evidence). Surely you wouldn't be doing that now would you? ;)

C

chas_m

I assume that this is a delay tactic until you provide a real reason right

Oh Van, why so serious?

It was a joke. Simple as that.

Obviously the biggest selling point of joining the developer program is the ability to sell your stuff on the App Stores. I am aware this doesn't apply to you.

But yes, I think Apple provides developers with other resources that are worth the $99/year, not the least of which is advance copies of iOS or OS X, Xcode, and support resources (and getting through Gatekeeper). If you don't need these, that's fine -- the developer of one of my favourite OS X utilities, OnyX, isn't a member because he's giving his stuff away and thus doesn't want to pay $99/year. Which is perfectly okay, there are lots of developers who aren't registered with Apple for a wide variety of perfectly legit reasons.

I confess I was thinking beyond your current project to the day when you might want to sell something you've written. Maybe that will never happen. If it does, though, I'd suggest that joining the developer programs for all the platforms one wants to sell for is generally a sound investment.

OP
Perranoak
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPad2, iPhone5
So, I do need a Mac really then?

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
So, I do need a Mac really then?
You can certainly develop on a Windows box. PhoneGap/Cordova and Flex are two frameworks that jump out at me at the moment (both of which allow you to build Android apps at the same time; PhoneGap let's you do Windows Phone as well).
Already answered that one for you. ;)

OP
Perranoak
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPad2, iPhone5
Yes, sorry, I'm being thick.

So, you CAN develop without a Mac but can you then load it onto the iPad/iPhone from there?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.