Downloading text of webpages without images?

Reaction score
Is it possible with an iPhone 5 (7.1.1) to arrange matters so that Safari will download only the text of webpages but not any pictures? Presumably this would serve to reduce the data download for someone with a pre-paid cellphone card.
Thanks in advance.
M

OP
M
Reaction score
On the same tack as the above, I will be using the iPhone essentially for phone calls for a while and restricting my internet use to when I’m at a hotspot. However, even if I don’t go on the internet when I am, for example, in the car or walking along a country road, will the iPhone be using up the credit on my pre-paid card by receiving e-mails that happen to arrive at these times? Sorry to be dim but I’m new to the iPhone.
M

C

chas_m

You can set the Mail program on your iPhone to receive emails only when you manually check.

I don't know of any way to force the browser to only download text and not images. Since you're looking to reduce your cellular data use, your best best is to simply not use the browser until you're in a Wi-Fi hotspot.

If you own a Sprint compatible (read: CDMA) iPhone 4, 4S or 5, you might look at FreedomPop for a free plan that provides 500MB of data per month (and talk and text). I've been using the free talk and text part (no data for me cuz I'm on a GSM phone) when I'm down in the states and it has saved me quite a bit of money thus far. Details on it are here:

FreedomPop announces free voice and data plans for iPhone | ZDNet

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
Have a look at Text Browser By MochaSoft on the App Store

OP
M
Reaction score
Thanks for the helpful replies.

Regarding the setting of Mail to receive emails only when you check manually: this was done in the Apple store when we bought the iPhone. However, there does not appear to be this option when using the Gmail app; or am I missing something?

Yes, we are careful not to browse except when at a hotspot. And thanks for the tip about FreedomPop.

I’ve now got the Text Browser and I guess reading ‘text only’ is more economical if for some reason we absolutely need to check a webpage via the phone link.

M

C

chas_m

Gmail app = not made by Apple, thus not subject to the iPhone's Mail preferences. I have no experience with the Gmail app, but I would imagine that there is (or should be) a way to turn off push.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.