iMac Video Problems

Reaction score
I have an iMac 5-6 years old. The video card has been crashing, and I get various colored lines over the iMac screen. I’m now using a Toshiba TV monitor and the Apple screen sharing app to watch Netflix and Amazon on it. (Toshiba DVD slot locked up after installation! I tried unplugging, but it still won’t eject the DVD.)
So:
There’s the problem with the video card on the iMac,
which affects picture quality if using iMac DVD slot.

If using the Toshiba TV monitor connected to iMac:
The clarity of the streaming movies on the Toshiba screen isn’t always satisfactory.
While streaming, movies freeze but audio continues;
or screen goes black during movie (no image or audio); I have to reload movie, and sometimes even that doesn’t work. The speed test is ok per http://www.speakeasy.net/speedtest/.
On iMac, pop-up appears from Silverlight every time I start or restart to stream a movie.

A friend recommends getting a Mac Mini, and also a superdrive, but that’s almost more than half the cost of a new 21” iMac, plus technician, though I’d still have to purchase a superdrive for another $79.

I’m disappointed in Apple due to the failure of the video card, and I really can’t afford to keep trying different “fixes” and paying a tech. (I’m a senior and not that savvy about tech things.)

Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated. Should I sack the iMac and forget trying fixes?
Or, is the Mac Mini able to stream Amazon as well as Netflix and other online movies? Also,will I have to invest in a superdrive along with the Mac Mini to play DVDs?
Many thanks for any suggestions!

OP
I
Reaction score
Silverlight says: "Do you want to allow the web site to stay in full screen mode when interacting with another window""

Reaction score
It's saying that because you have 2 monitors and it wants to know whether to stay full screen if you click on the other monitor.
It should have a "don't ask again" button on the alert. Click it.

Cant help with the video problem other than to say check your resolution settings and make sure the tv can support whatever you're using.
Which do you have as the 'main' screen? The iMac or the tv? How exactly is it connected?

OP
I
Reaction score
I'm using the TV as a screen to watch movies streaming from Netflix and Amazon.

The TV is an HDMI, so I'm assuming that's high resolution?

OP
I
Reaction score
The iMac is a 2009 running Snow Leopard.
Uh, I think I see the problem in picture quality. iMac resolutio is 1920 x 1200
Toshiba tv is 1600 x 900
Duh, bad news.

OP
I
Reaction score
The connection: PTC Mini-DVI to HDMI Adapter with 6 ft. HDMI Cabe for Macintosh. BTW, thanks so much for helping and your patience!

Reaction score
The lower resolution will give a slight decrease in picture quality. It should be perfectly watchable though.
Also if you're having problems with the gfx output on the imac it might reflect in the HDMI output also (I'm no expert).
I'm assuming you're not using mirroring mode? Also try another HDMI cable. They do vary in quality (tho not that much. I don't recommend a Monster [expensive] cable).

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.