Why are .Mac pages always so slow?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 Cube
It seems that most .Mac websites I've visited are pretty dang slow. I got a .Mac account for my wife, which we set up today, and even her page is slow. Is that normal? You'd think if they give you a gig of space with it they'd give you the bandwidth too, but I guess not. I hope iWeb can upload to non-.Mac websites lol...

J

jessica

I noticed that as well. I have a .Mac account and I don't really use most of the features, but my mail is often slow to respond. Technically iWeb can be used to create non .mac sites, but I don't think it'll upload with the ease that it will when you upload it to your .mac account.
I have seen some rather amazing sites being produced with iWeb and they're not hosted with a .mac account.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)
I think it's their web servers...bandwidth is fine, but the servers are slow to respond. (I'm pretty sure they're older Suns, not XServes.)

.Mac mail is fine for me. I use POP3, not IMAP, so once it downloads, it's instant.

OP
K
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 Cube
jessica said:
I noticed that as well. I have a .Mac account and I don't really use most of the features, but my mail is often slow to respond. Technically iWeb can be used to create non .mac sites, but I don't think it'll upload with the ease that it will when you upload it to your .mac account.
I have seen some rather amazing sites being produced with iWeb and they're not hosted with a .mac account.

Do you know if it can just export a folder for uploading via FTP or whatever? My wife just got her iMac last night for her birthday and I haven't been able to spend more than a couple minutes on it yet ;) Her 15-minute iWeb site puts my programming skills to shame, lol.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook C2D 2.4 2GB
.Mac has become slower in the last days/weeks, it just to be faster also most of the pages you see in .Mac accounts are designed with iWeb, too much graphics and details in my opinion. You can upload files to your iDisk using Finder, whatever you put under iDisk/Sites/ will be accesible with homepage.mac.com/[username]/[filename].

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.67 Ghz 17" PB w/1 GB Ram; 400 MHz PM G4, 366Mhz iBook Firewire, Nano 4GB Black
Yes, iWeb can publish to a folder that you can upload to any server you want.
.Mac has always been slow, expecially for uploads. Mail isn't that bad for me though, it's more of an iDisk issue.

.Mac offers 10GB bandwidth per month
http://www.mac.com/web/en/Blog/3EA90C1B-9C37-408E-8C9C-2B45AE840927.html

The problem with the speed is the servers, as Technologist said.

My experience with iWeb: Great software if little to no customization is required. Perfect for the basic blog, or for throwing together a website in 10 minutes.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.