• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Password Box Password LIMIT - SURPRISE!

Reaction score
When Mac-Forums advertised this item last week it was $9.99. There were a lot of questions and all answers were positive. Yes, you could use it for all iMac products; no, it never needed to be updated; yes, we could have any number of passwords stored in the Box, etc. YESTERDAY I RECEIVED A NOTICE THAT I HAVE A LIMIT OF 25 STORED PASSWORDS AND I AM EIGHT AWAY FROM THAT NUMBER! OF COURSE TO EXTEND IT REQUIRES MORE MONEY. This seems to be a scam for Mac-Forum customers. I do not appreciate being scammed!

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
Advertising is controlled by our parent company and we, the Mac-Forums staff and members, don't endorse anything other than what you see in our threads/posts.

OP
C
Reaction score
Password Box False Advertising

So when Mac Forums advertises a product for people to purchase, and it turns out to be a scam, you have NO responsibility to get an explanation for the purchaser who stupidly took your word that Password Box never needed to be updated and we would have an unlimited number of passwords? That tells me and anybody else who got snookered by Mac Forums that since you do not stand behind what you are pushing, we the buyers should stop purchasing anything that you advertise! Thanks a lot, Mac Forums! This is quite a shock!

Reaction score
PasswordBox Upgrade

Hi Cecilia,

I am so sorry for any delays or confusion regarding your upgrade. Your account has not been correctly upgraded, which is why you're seeing those prompts. Can you please send me an email at emma (at) passwordbox (dot) com with the email address associated with your PB account and I'm happy to take care of this for you immediately. This promotion was much more popular than we anticipated, so we have received a large volume of support tickets for upgrades and are working as quickly as we can to ensure that everyone has received their purchase. And if there are any other questions I can answer for you, please send those my way too ;)

Thank you,
Emma, Community Manager at PasswordBox

Last edited:
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP17 8GB/1.9TB 2xSSDs Sierra • MBA11 4/128GB • TC 2TB • TV3 • iPh6 128GB • iPadPro12
There are adverts? :eek: :\

Reaction score
Adverts in Free Version only

Hi David,

To answer your question, there are in-app and in-browser notifications that will appear for users of the free, limited-storage version of PasswordBox, to notify users that they may be running out of storage space. These notifications do not appear for our Pro & Unlimited Access users. If you have any additional questions, please let me know.

Thank you,
Emma

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
The STAFF here have no connection to that or any product you see in the ads. A company runs this on their server and places the adds. Again, we have no connection to the ads.

Reaction score
Hi David,

To answer your question, there are in-app and in-browser notifications that will appear for users of the free, limited-storage version of PasswordBox, to notify users that they may be running out of storage space. These notifications do not appear for our Pro & Unlimited Access users. If you have any additional questions, please let me know.

Thank you,
Emma

I think he was being facetious and intimating he runs an ad blocker :)
A lot of us do.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP17 8GB/1.9TB 2xSSDs Sierra • MBA11 4/128GB • TC 2TB • TV3 • iPh6 128GB • iPadPro12
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Click on Emma's name and select PM (personal message) for more information regarding your problem.

For what it is worth I would never trust any password protection program.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
This was one of the StackSocial offerings. Mac-Forums is now an "affiliate" of StackSocial. All sales, help, etc. goes through StackSocial and any offering would be offered not only at Mac-Forums, but at StackSocial and any of their affiliates that want to pick up any particular offering.

For the op, you now have a direct line to the developer above.
The contact info for the developer was also included in your redemption info.

edit:
While I don't know anything about this app since I use 1Password, I'd say it's a pretty good indication the dev is not trying to rip anyone off if they're keeping up with posts in forums across the web, registering and responding to users even here within a 2 hour time frame.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
edit:
While I don't know anything about this app since I use 1Password, I'd say it's a pretty good indication the dev is not trying to rip anyone off if they're keeping up with posts in forums across the web, registering and responding to users even here within a 2 hour time frame.

Yes, very good point Bob. I have done dealing with Stack Social in the past, and have had some awesome bundles through them. When it comes to a App, and its description, I can vouch that no-one is trying to rip anyone off.
That site gets a incredible amount of traffic and at times, they have hard trouble keeping up with the coupons they get from the Developers, and the amount of traffic they receive, which is evident in the comments below the bundle.

If at all anyone had trouble, its just a matter of emailing the Stack Social people and they will have it fixed pretty quick.
For Example, I bought Scrivener from them only 4 days ago for $20, and by the time my payment went through, they had run out of coupons and had a Sold Out sign up. A quick email to them, and them answering the comments section, they emailed the new Coupon Codes out within 10 minutes of me contacting them . . .

No need to yell at Mac-Forums for something out of their control :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2018 15" MBP, 2019 11" iPad Pro, iPhone 11 Pro
Always best to get the facts before you make yourself look foolish ranting at the wrong people (or ranting at all).

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBookAir5,2:10.13.6-iMac18,3:10.13.6-iPhone9,3:11.4.1
Would be nice if the OP followed up and let everyone know if they received satisfaction in regards to this concern. It is always sad when you see a complaint, but don't get the follow up. Cheers.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Well the idea is usually to just rant and leave it at that!

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
OP could have been a bit more diplomatic initially…especially given the fact that the developer was EXTREMELY FAST responding!:)

Just imagine a customer like this walking into an Apple Store with a computer problem….and expecting employees to bend over backwards when it comes to "gray-area" decisions (potential freebies).

This is why some folks are never happy with the customer service they get. As a customer…if you start off screaming & yelling at the very first contact…hard for folks to "go the extra mile" for you.

Now if things aren't rectified after 1-2 contacts…then MAYBE the "volume" can be turned up a bit!;)

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
I just watched the video demo for PB, and was rather amused when they said they use the same encryption methods as the US government. Would that be the same encryption methods the NSA inserted a backdoor into? :Evil:

Reaction score
Password Box

Sounds convincing. Where do I find this offer of unlimited Password Box for $9.99?

C

chas_m

People -- all people -- need to understand that an ad on a website DOES NOT equate to an endorsement of the ad by the website. Web advertising is controlled by networks that mostly track users and/or analyze keywords used in searches etc in order to attempt to serve of ads that are likely to be relevant to the user (in the hopes they will click through and/or buy the product/service).

In short, websites generally have NO IDEA AT ALL what ads are running on the website, only that the ad agency is putting ads there that try to be relevant to the most-discussed keywords on the site.

Very glad Emma intervened (and very quickly!) to rectify the complaint, but the idea of blaming Mac-Forums as either "endorsing" or "pushing" anything reveals a terrible misunderstanding of how websites are funded and how web advertising works.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
There are adverts? :eek: :\

I'm with you! Don't pay attention to them. Same goes for TV ads, which I skip over more often than not. Who watches LIVE anymore?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.