• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Password Box Password LIMIT - SURPRISE!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP17 8GB/1.9TB 2xSSDs Sierra • MBA11 4/128GB • TC 2TB • TV3 • iPh6 128GB • iPadPro12
Who watches LIVE anymore?

He-he ... Funny you should mention that - it is coming to a year, since I cancelled our TV Licence*, hence no live TV ... positively liberating, and we haven't missed it one little bit ;D

* Yes, we pay for the privilege of watching live TV, here in the UK :Lips-Are-Sealed:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
He-he ... Funny you should mention that - it is coming to a year, since I cancelled our TV Licence*, hence no live TV ... positively liberating, and we haven't missed it one little bit ;D

* Yes, we pay for the privilege of watching live TV, here in the UK :Lips-Are-Sealed:

Dont I know it. I saw the Van moving around the neighbourhood when I lived in a little village just outside of Swindon (**** that roundabout) and got a fine in the Mail because we moved in, we didn't pay for the TV service . . . What a bloody farce that is, and very weird when you come from a country with Free to Air . . . .

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Don't get on too high a horse Brent.

We used to do that here also. A van used to drive around with an odd antenna on it picking who was receiving TV signals. The great Jack Davey was always before the courts as he would not pay the federal government for a TV licence.

Several times he went to jail to cut the fines out. Was abandoned here early sixties.

C

chas_m

The last time I looked, the UK license (which funds the BBC *and* the infrastructure that all other broadcasters use) cost £145 for a single colour TV (there's something of a discount for multiple TVs in the household, I'm led to understand). That's $246 a year, US, for which you get all the output of the BBC, ITV, BBC Radio (<-- I'd have paid that much for this resource alone), and the invaluable iPlayer/downloads/Listen Again service.

To put this in perspective, I used to give more than that to Public Broadcasting each year. To put it in more perspective, the average monthly cable bill around here (which, to be fair, includes broadband) is $120-150, and you don't even get the really GOOD channels for that money. I'd have to pay a bit more to get channels as good as the BBC! :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP17 8GB/1.9TB 2xSSDs Sierra • MBA11 4/128GB • TC 2TB • TV3 • iPh6 128GB • iPadPro12
Chas, you're right, UK TV Licence funds the BBC, and it is certainly not the amount, that I found objectionable, but the principle - whilst some of the BBC productions are quite brilliant, others are ... well, dumbed down rubbish, to put it politely.

Normally, when I pay for a service, or indeed a product, it is because I want it, not because I have to.

I purchased numerous BBC series, on DVD, BluRay and iTunes (⅓ of TV shows in the library are BBC's), and shall continue to do so, but on my own initiative ... :Smirk:

Anyway, we're getting seriously off topic here ;D

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.