Any suggestion for Audio Converter on Mac

Reaction score
hi, Not sure if I'm using the correct terminology, or if this has been posted before, I need to convert some of my audio files into mp3, and since I can't find the right app for it I use a free web-based online tool for converting.
but it would be easier for me to have an app on my mac and save some time.
I googled it but nothing was eyecatching,
I would welcome any suggestion from you guys that will help in making decision.
thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
mid-2010 Mac Mini OS 10.12.6 Sierra, 2.66 GHz C2D, 8GB RAM, 30 in. Cinema Display
iTunes will do that.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
late 2012 mini w/SSD
The free Audacity will also do what you want.
Audacity: Mac OS X
(and get at least the LAME encoder, same page)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
As much as I love iTunes, I find converting to MP3 in Audacity does a better job IMHO. So +1 for Audacity. Its a good App to have around for many things Audio, like making Ringtones and all that jazz . ..

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
As much as I love iTunes, I find converting to MP3 in Audacity does a better job IMHO. So +1 for Audacity. Its a good App to have around for many things Audio, like making Ringtones and all that jazz . ..

Really? Understanding Audacity for me is like trying to read Chinese.... It doesn't get any easier than iTunes when it comes to converting to MP3. As far as using Audacity to make ringtones, it's probably easier than the new Garageband which is worse than Egyptian Hieroglyphics! ;P

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
Yea Charlie, I sat there one weekend and within ½ hr I was cutting, pasting, copying in the main window, and converting them to MP3. Its a little like the Gimp is to Photoshop, and doesn't look pretty, but is a very powerful App. I have made all 5 of my Ringtones with Audacity, mixing and cutting mainly to make them a reasonable size.
As to Garageband, I haven't used it for years, and don't have it currently, because I had more use of the space the 10GB of samples and loops took up, on my SSD. I did like it when I played a while ago, but now I just play on my iPad Mini with the DJay 2 App from Algoriddim.

Might have to re-look at Garageband . .. . . .

C

chas_m

Never cared for Audacity. It's always been buggy, fugly and unstable every time I've tried it -- which to me is unacceptable in an app that's been in development since 2000.

There are dozens of cheap/free ways to convert audio files to MP3 or other formats. As mentioned, iTunes will do with a right-click. Separate of iTunes, I like the Mediahuman Audio Converter (free), AlltoMP3 (free), and AudialHub (no longer available, sadly).

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2018 15" MBP, 2019 11" iPad Pro, iPhone 11 Pro
There's probably even a way to set up Automator to do it for you whenever you drop files into a specific folder that you designate. Although, I'm guessing it will open iTunes and go through the steps for you, so not sure if that's much of a time saver or not. (I set up Automator once to re-size photos that I placed in a folder so I could use them in Craigslist posts back when they had smaller file size restrictions)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.