Mac Newbie question

Reaction score
I am looking at buying a used MacBook Core 2 Duo, 2 ghz memory, 250 GB hard drive. It is currently running Leopard OS, can someone tell me if I can upgrade to Snow Leopard, or at least the "current" version of Mac OSx?

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
I am looking at buying a used MacBook Core 2 Duo, 2 ghz memory, 250 GB hard drive. It is currently running Leopard OS, can someone tell me if I can upgrade to Snow Leopard, or at least the "current" version of Mac OSx?

Do you really mean "2ghz memory"...or that it has a 2.0ghz core 2 duo cpu?

If 2.0ghz cpu speed...there are 4 different MacBook models that fit this specification. All 4 can be upgraded to Snow Leopard (OS 10.6)...but only 2 of them can be upgraded all the way to the most current OS version (10.9).

Need more info on the exact model it is.

- Nick

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Based on the hard drive size (250gig)...it's probably one of the newer models...which would be good for you...since it would be upgradeable all the way to 10.9.

But...if it's an older model MacBook that had its hard drive upgraded...then that would be a different situation. Thus it would be better to know what exact model it is.

- Nick

OP
M
Reaction score
This is what I am going off of:

"SPECS LEOPARD OS 2.93 GHZ CORE TWO DUO 2GB MEMORY 250GB HDD"

I don't have a model number unfortunately.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
This is what I am going off of:

"SPECS LEOPARD OS 2.93 GHZ CORE TWO DUO 2GB MEMORY 250GB HDD"

I don't have a model number unfortunately.

There's no such "animal" (MacBook). No MacBook ever came with a 2.93ghz core 2 duo cpu.

If this computer is actually a MacBook Pro (MacBooks and MacBook Pro's are different models). Then a 2.93ghz MacBook Pro does exist.:)

Also...in your original post you said "2 ghz memory"...when actually the info posted in your 2nd post says "2GB MEMORY". When it comes to computers...this makes a very big difference. Gotta watch those details.;)

- Nick

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Also...if this computer definitely has a 2.93ghz cpu...then YES...it definitely can be upgraded to Snow Leopard...AND is upgradeable to the latest Mac OS (10.9).:)

- Nick

OP
M
Reaction score
There's no such "animal" (MacBook). No MacBook ever came with a 2.93ghz core 2 duo cpu.

If this computer is actually a MacBook Pro (MacBooks and MacBook Pro's are different models). Then a 2.93ghz MacBook Pro does exist.:)

Also...in your original post you said "2 ghz memory"...when actually the info posted in your 2nd post says "2GB MEMORY". When it comes to computers...this makes a very big difference. Gotta watch those details.;)

- Nick

Wow, I must be tired. I can't believe I posted 2 ghz memory, yes, details do count. I really thank all of your input for this. Again, Mac newbie. I have been lifelong iPhone owners, but never had a Mac laptop or Desktop. Thanks again!

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Wow, I must be tired. I can't believe I posted 2 ghz memory, yes, details do count. I really thank all of your input for this. Again, Mac newbie. I have been lifelong iPhone owners, but never had a Mac laptop or Desktop. Thanks again!

Good luck with the possible purchase!:)

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
There s a Mac Pro silver tower with twin 2.93GHz CPU's but as Nick says nothing in the MacBook range, other than a 2008 2.93GHz MacBook Pro a different animal. Upgrading memory will help with updates, it can handle up to 8GB.

It will handle OS X.6, available for $20 from Apple Online, and after updting to OS X.6.8 Mavericks, the latest operating system, is available as a free download from the App Store.

C

chas_m

If you get this, and if it is a 2008 MacBook Pro, I would STRONGLY suggest maxing out the RAM before attempting to go beyond Snow Leopard. The video card in the 2008-2009 machines is very weak by today's standards and will provide some headaches when doing graphically intense stuff like Google Earth or watching 1080p video. Your machine qualifies for Mavericks and even the forthcoming Yosemite but both of those later OS versions put ever-greater strain on the weak video cards. I have a 2009 and am planning to change it out for a 2011 or later model for precisely this reason (otherwise, I really enjoy this computer a lot, running Mavericks in 8GB RAM).

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.