Mail-Unable to edit

Reaction score
For a reason unknown to me I am no longer able to add a new signature or Smart Mailbox to my Apple Mail account and have it stay. If Mail or my iMac are restarted they disappear. It also asks me to verify my email provider the first time after a restart. I am running a 2009 27" iMac, 10.8.5, Intel Core 2 Duo. Thanks for any help. John

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
Try Repairing Disk Permissions

Open Disk Utility and in the Left column select your HD (2nd from top of list) Click first Aid Tab then Repair Disk Permissions. Wait until its finished, and (don't take any notice of the Errors) Restart your Mac.
See if that fixes it. If not, we will have to dive into the .plists

OP
T
Reaction score
I had ran permissions several times but never restarted right away until now. Just did as you said but, alas, the signatures and Smart Mailbox I added after the restart are gone after quitting Mail and starting again.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
I don't use Mac Mail anymore, but I did find a few things. Some people have found that there Smart Mail Boxes are in the Sidebar but are hidden (sort of). If you see On My Mac and hover your cursor over that to the right of it, the word 'Show' will appear, and if you click on that, then your Smart Mail Boxes could be under that ??
If not, try the solution in this Apple Discussion Thread in the 2nd Post by hoosierchick2012

As to the Signature, you might have to go into and grab the AllSignature.plist
Make sure Mail has been QUIT . . . . In Finder "Go To Folder" under Finder>Go>Go To Folder Click on it and a window will drop down. Paste in :
Code:
~/Library/Mail/V2/MailData/Signatures
and look for the AllSignatures.plist and drag it to your Desktop. Open Mail, and then in the Preferences>Signatures see if you can now add your Signatures and if so add one, and quit Mail, open it again and see if its still there. If it is, assign it to a email address and then you should be all good.

HTH

OP
T
Reaction score
Hovering over On My Mac revealed 'Hide' so it must now be in the 'Show' mode. The AllSignatures.plist is on my desktop and I put 7 signatures in and the restarted Mail. Same thing, they are all gone. I notice the Choose Signature menu at the bottom of the Signatures page is grayed out and not selectable if that means anything.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.