Macbook Charger

Reaction score
My Macbook charger is not charging my laptop. When I plug the charger into the wall the light on the chord automatically turns orange before I ever even plug it into my Macbook. Usually you dont see a color on the charger until it is connected to the macbook. What is going on and why is it glowing even when its not connected?

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
No real divinitive answer...other than the charger may be malfunctioning.

As you said...this is not normal. And "not normal" in many cases means malfunctioning. Laptop chargers are not repairable (as far as I know)...so it may be time for a new one.

- Nick

Reaction score
Hi

I had a similar problem last year. I assume your charger is the T connector 65W. From what I diagnosed it appears the connecting wire was shorting due to fraying at the Adapter side. Repair is difficult but there are Youtube videos out there. Secondhand Adapters do go for premium so shop around in ebay. 65 GDP is in my view a lot of money for something that has an inherent design fault where the wire connects the square charger. If I was designing it I would made this a plug in cable too like the extension cable or plug and have then available as spares. Far more green approach to reusing materials.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.